Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Performance & Brainstorming (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/)
-   -   Royal Purple Oil Questions (https://blazerforum.com/forum/performance-brainstorming-38/royal-purple-oil-questions-43477/)

ComputerNerdBD 04-16-2010 04:34 PM

Royal Purple Oil Questions

Hey guys. Anyone here use Royal Purple in their 4.3s?

I got a few questions since I am considering switching to it at the next oil change.

1. 5W-30 or 10W-30 for the summer in an engine with 88k on it?
2. Lucas or no Lucas? I have been using it with conventional oil for about a year.
3. Does Royal Purple do a good job at cleaning out sludge?
4. Is it safe to just switch to it directly from conventional oil without causing damage?

Thanks.

84BlazerS10 04-16-2010 05:00 PM

1. Whatever the manufacture suggests is probably best.
2. Lucas would probably still be a good idea.
3. Never used it myself but heard it is pretty nice.
4. Shouldn't hurt anything if you put it in when you do your next oil change.

ComputerNerdBD 04-16-2010 05:51 PM

Should I put some Seafoam in the oil and let it run for 10 min before I change it? Is that the proper procedure? Trying to make this truck last longer and run better. Still has a little bit of lifter tick for a few seconds (if i rev it above idle between startup and 1 min also, which is why I idle it for 5 min before I drive it.), on startup when it is cold or humid. Thanks

RebelJimmy96 04-16-2010 07:02 PM

sea foam ur rig then change oil to the royal purple 5w-30 with the k&n hp-2001 oil filter dont add any lucus. it will clean that motor spotless.
thats the combo i use and i can tell the diffrance also run ther 75w90 in the rear dif! less friction = better running and longer lasting truck. use there power stearing fluid and atf! i now work for them. i have been a lifetime user and love the stuff. u can accualy pick up about 3hp from the switch. i dyno my ride before and after

swartlkk 04-16-2010 07:13 PM

RP is a decent oil, but their claims are inflated. Check out BobIsTheOilGuy.com for indepth oil information.

3HP falls into the realm of dyno tolerance and is nothing conclusive.

old skool luvr 04-16-2010 09:00 PM

it'd be like having a tail wind on the highway.

alot of info on Bob's web site. a good read.

ComputerNerdBD 04-16-2010 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 322196)
RP is a decent oil, but their claims are inflated. Check out BobIsTheOilGuy.com for indepth oil information.

3HP falls into the realm of dyno tolerance and is nothing conclusive.

I wasn't really looking for more performance. Just better reliability and longevity for the engine. I already have a CAI, but for better gas mileage. It seems to provide more power, but that for me is just a bonus.

ComputerNerdBD 04-16-2010 11:07 PM

I was also looking at Pennzoil Ultra. Which is better? Royal Purple or Pennzoil Ultra? I don't even know if I can get Royal Purple in this small town. If I use RP, I may have to order it.

Phil 04-16-2010 11:26 PM

RP is what I've been using with the k&n filter. I just love the nut on the end of the k&n filters because it makes oil changes so much easier. Autozone/Advance/Pep Boys always has it on the shelves.

old skool luvr 04-16-2010 11:49 PM

you guys alway rave about the nut o K&N's, but when they're on sale for $13, i can do two Frams for that price.

and when you're changing the oil every 30 days.......................well, that extra $ spent on a filter can add up quickly.