Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Royal Purple Oil Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 04:34 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Royal Purple Oil Questions

Hey guys. Anyone here use Royal Purple in their 4.3s?

I got a few questions since I am considering switching to it at the next oil change.

1. 5W-30 or 10W-30 for the summer in an engine with 88k on it?
2. Lucas or no Lucas? I have been using it with conventional oil for about a year.
3. Does Royal Purple do a good job at cleaning out sludge?
4. Is it safe to just switch to it directly from conventional oil without causing damage?

Thanks.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:00 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

1. Whatever the manufacture suggests is probably best.
2. Lucas would probably still be a good idea.
3. Never used it myself but heard it is pretty nice.
4. Shouldn't hurt anything if you put it in when you do your next oil change.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:51 PM

Should I put some Seafoam in the oil and let it run for 10 min before I change it? Is that the proper procedure? Trying to make this truck last longer and run better. Still has a little bit of lifter tick for a few seconds (if i rev it above idle between startup and 1 min also, which is why I idle it for 5 min before I drive it.), on startup when it is cold or humid. Thanks

Old 04-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Starting Member
RebelJimmy96 is on a distinguished road

sea foam ur rig then change oil to the royal purple 5w-30 with the k&n hp-2001 oil filter dont add any lucus. it will clean that motor spotless.
thats the combo i use and i can tell the diffrance also run ther 75w90 in the rear dif! less friction = better running and longer lasting truck. use there power stearing fluid and atf! i now work for them. i have been a lifetime user and love the stuff. u can accualy pick up about 3hp from the switch. i dyno my ride before and after

Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

RP is a decent oil, but their claims are inflated. Check out BobIsTheOilGuy.com for indepth oil information.

3HP falls into the realm of dyno tolerance and is nothing conclusive.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:00 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

it'd be like having a tail wind on the highway.

alot of info on Bob's web site. a good read.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
RP is a decent oil, but their claims are inflated. Check out BobIsTheOilGuy.com for indepth oil information.

3HP falls into the realm of dyno tolerance and is nothing conclusive.
I wasn't really looking for more performance. Just better reliability and longevity for the engine. I already have a CAI, but for better gas mileage. It seems to provide more power, but that for me is just a bonus.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:07 PM

I was also looking at Pennzoil Ultra. Which is better? Royal Purple or Pennzoil Ultra? I don't even know if I can get Royal Purple in this small town. If I use RP, I may have to order it.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

RP is what I've been using with the k&n filter. I just love the nut on the end of the k&n filters because it makes oil changes so much easier. Autozone/Advance/Pep Boys always has it on the shelves.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:49 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you guys alway rave about the nut o K&N's, but when they're on sale for $13, i can do two Frams for that price.

and when you're changing the oil every 30 days.......................well, that extra $ spent on a filter can add up quickly.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple Oil Questions