Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Second Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:45 PM
IronMissouri is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Second Air Intake

Okay, so I have a 2000 Chevy blazer.

I have already replaced my stock air box with a cone air filter with a setup similar to many of the "cold air intake" kits.

But I was thinking, If I rewired my battery to be located in the back of the SUV, would it be possible to put a second cone air filter intake in the battery's place, if in theory I could make it work with the Mass Airflow Sensor.

Would this even be beneficial?

If it was beneficial, would it be waaay too much air for the engine to handle?

Oh, and I have the dynomax highflow exhaust kit installed as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Starting Member
blazerboy001 is on a distinguished road

Good thought, Interesting. I would like to know as well.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 PM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road

I'd say it wouldn't be beneficial, even if it was beneficial it wouldn't be enough to notice. Seems like there would be more pipe to get hot and raise your intake temp.

And no, it wouldn't be too much air for the engine to handle. If an engine can take any kind of forced induction it wont have a problem with a regular pipe and filter setup.

To make it work with the MAF you'd have to splice the two intakes together before the MAF, otherwise it won't pick up the air coming in from the second intake.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:12 PM

There would for sure be more pipe to get hot, but I thought the heat of the pipe wasn't really an issue, since the air spends so little time there anyways?

And yeah splicing the two before the MAF would be the hardest part, I think.

I am thinking I might just try it sometime in the coming weeks to see what happens. Worst case scineraio, i have created a place for an auxiliary battery.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:26 PM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road

I'm sure there's a way to calculate the difference if you knew how restrictive the filters were along with some other factors.

Also, I'm not 100% sure about this part, but it seems to me like you would need both intakes to be of equal length, otherwise one would be pulling more air than the other.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not worth the effort. For one, you would still have to flow through the one MAF sensor.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 PM

Haha well if i do end up doing it I'll document the steps and results. I don't have a way to measure them scientifically, but if i do it and can "feel" a difference, I will let everyone know.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IronMissouri
...but if i do it and can "feel" a difference, I will let everyone know.
What, you're going to post the results print-out from the 'butt dyno'?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 PM

Heck yes, we're real scientific here in Missouri.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:44 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

there was some member that had that 3-cone air intake tube set-up last year (red truck, not sure who he was, we were all bashing him for the same reasons mentioned above).

so you won't be the first to try this. why not do a search (for wierd *** CAI?) see if you can't find his stuff (if you really want to do it still).

Quick Reply: Second Air Intake