Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Taurus E-Fan mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Taurus E-Fan mod

swartlkk, if you have time, could you make a diagram showing how you would wire it up? When it comes to wiring it takes me a while to understand it and I need to see it in picture form instead of words. I just went off that wiring diagram since most others did, but if there’s a more efficient way of wiring it up I rather do it that way.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Won't happen quickly... The 2nd diagram in the link above shows something similar to what I described, but the trigger from the 2nd relay would be connected to the A/C +12V when running (through a diode as shown in the 1st schematic) as well as to the +12V from the 2nd thermostat.

*EDIT*

Ok, so I just modified one of the schematics available from the other site. One thing that I didn't so much like about the series arrangement of the relays was that it may be possible to overload one unless it is sized large enough (say 40A SPDT). Either way, it will work.

Here's the modified schematic:

All of the switched sources can be the same, but I would have fuse for each of the t-stats. Roughly 5A each to put a number to it. If you were good with a breadboard and knew the required components, the circuitry to use an electronic temperature sensor isn't really that complex. The sparkies (electrical engineers) at work do this kind of stuff in their sleep! LOL Heck, they could make it updatable via USB!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The taurus fans draw alot of amps, 40 if I recall. If you use it make sure you get relays able to handle it, most you find are only 30 amps.

The high amp draw really turned me off of the taurus fan. I plan on running 2 10s on my 2.8 blazer. Unless you have a rad that is a lot bigger than mine I can fit any bigger than 2 10s. Gonna mount them one up high near the intake side of the rad and one down low on the output side. Instead of wiring up a kit for 2 fans I just went out bought one. It has two outputs for dual fans and a hook up for the AC. Its made by Imperial (owners of haydens which who made my fans) and the part number is 226204. I think it was $30ish bucks.

I've had 2 V8 s10s (1st gens) and unless its required on the second gens I didn't have to use electric fans on them. I did on the one and it was only a single 16 incher. I'm pretty sure you don't have to on the 2nds.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you go with a short water pump, you may be correct, but you'll have to get the appropriate pulley for the water pump to keep your serpentine belt alignment. If you are dropping in a v8 as it is, this is something you have to plan for, i.e. either go with an electric fan or a short water pump and associated pulley.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you much for that wiring diagram!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Administrator

No problem! I aim to please!!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Like I said, both of mine were first gens. Aint ever helped or thought of working on a v8 bubble body. On both of mine I just used the serp belt set up off of a 4.3 and everything worked fine. If you want more info on the v8 set ups go over to v8s10.org

Old 03-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I tested the current draw on my taurus fan today. It's not completely accurate as the wire being used was a little too small (14g silicone). I used a Medusa Power Analyzer II watt meter commonly used for R/C planes/helis etc. It gives me a better idea as to what it draws, but I would expect it to be different when using larger wire or if the fan has been running longer. Now I can wire up my fan.
Low speed

High speed