Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

TBI TPI swap?

Old 09-28-2008, 07:08 PM
ryanmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TBI TPI swap?

Hey guys, i recently bought a 1989 pontiac trans-am GTA. The motor is the 350 with tuned port injection, a real pig on gas just driving home. The body is shot on it, the only good thing in the car is the motor, i believe it is called the L98. A little off topic in the blazer forum, i know. I have a 92 Chevrolet blazer, full size with 350 throttle body injection. Getting to the question, any one know of or tried them selves swapping out the throttle body for the tuned port? Just looking at the two, it seems that it would be as simple as switching the two, and maybe swapping the ECM as well, Maybe up grading the fuel system. Just wondering if any ones tried it? Successes? Failures? Or am i going to be the first? (highly doubt it haha).

Old 09-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: TBI TPI swap?

It is going to exercise your patience. Since you have both vehicles, it will be easier. You will want to get the factory service manuals for both vehicles and pour through the wiring diagrams for the PCM. It should not be all that bad with both being OBD1 vehicles, but you are going to have to cut and splice wiring harnesses together to get the PCM to be happy at controlling the engine and getting along with the rest of your truck.

You will probably want to swap motor for motor though as the heads on the L98 will be better flowing.

Heck, I have seen someone install a Series 2 L67 (3800 supercharged motor from a 98+ Grand Prix, Bonneville, etc) into an 80 something Bonneville. And that is jumping OBD1 to OBD2. Just takes patience and meticulous planning!