Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Starting Member
jbrooks19 is on a distinguished road
Default Throttle response

Any ideas for better throttle response? I have a 95 Blazer LT 4Dr 4WD, has 169xxx miles on it and runs great, rust free body also.

What im wanting is better/faster response when i press the pedal. Any ideas? You think a simple tune up will help? (Plugs, wires, cap and rotor?) Is there a DIY performance chip that is not too expensive that helps? BTW, mine does have OBDII. I was told that not all 95's had OBDII that a lot of them were just OBD, I don't know if that's true or not.

Thanks for any help guys.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Easiest, quickest, freest mod is the throttle blade mod. Do a quick search for it. You won't gain hp but the response from a stop is noticeably better imo.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Starting Member

Thanks, Rex. I'll check into that.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The throttle blade mod is a 96+ only modification. The CPI engines have a smaller throttle body that is integrated into the upper plenum and is designed for a more central delivery of air. As such, there is no need for the deflector on the throttle blade.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Crap that's my bad I missed the part where he gave me good details to read including that he had a 95 lol

Old 12-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Extremely rare to have OBDII on a 95. Gotta be CSFI, and there are a few of 'em out there. If it's CSFI, the throttle mod would work, not that it's recommended, but it would work.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have yet to see anything but CPI 95's and I have seen a few OBD2 CPI 95's. A picture of the engine would settle that, but I'll stick by my statement that there is no deflector to mod.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

CSFI is fully OBDII compliant, CPI is not. CPI doesn't have the capability to control the banks seperately due to only having one injector, and one upstream oxygen sensor, (one big bank). One of the requirements to be compliant with OBDII, is if the engine has more than 4 cylinders, it has to be able to control both banks individually. In order for GM to produce the 4.3L in 96, they had to redesign it to CSFI.

Early 95 production was OBDI. Mid year production was affectionately referred to as "OBD1.5", (a step toward OBDII). It has the OBDII port under the dash, but uses a unique protocol for communication that not all scanners can communicate with. From what I have read in GM publications, and heard from friends at GM, they ran out of OBD1.5 engines, and the CSFI was ready to go, so they used it at the end of the production year. No clue how many were installed though. Over the years here on BF, I remember 1 for sure, and possibly 2 members that had 95's with CSFI. From the VIN that one of the members gave me, it was in fact a 95, and it had CSFI. I'd LOVE to see one, might even be worth more $ for being so rare. Although not as rare as a 95 Bravada!

Old 12-29-2014, 09:47 PM
Administrator

You aren't telling me anything that I didn't already know Captain. As you stated, the "OBD2" CPI engines were not fully compliant with OBD2 requirements, nor were they required to be compliant in 95.

I've been here a bit longer than you, but do not recall the threads/info you speak of. Please do provide details!

Old 12-30-2014, 07:14 AM
Starting Member

Ok, just to clarify. Yes, it does have the OBDII port but, is not fully functional as OBDII. Car part stores code scanners have not been compatible. The funny thing is i bought one of the Bluetooth scan tools that plugs into the OBDII port then has an app on your phone and it worked and ready error codes. It's funny how they spent a decent amount of money on their scan tools and i spent $30 for mine on Ebay and it did what theirs couldn't.

Anyway, the throttle blade mod is more than likely not gonna work. My engine appears to be the older style. I had a 97 S10 and the intake was completely different, and yes it had the 4.3L Vortec also.

Quick Reply: Throttle response