Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Tuning for gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007 | 03:41 AM
BrianMichaels1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tuning for gas mileage?

Does anyone know what is involved in tuning an engine strictly for better fuel economy? I don't mind a little loss in power for better gas mileage. I've heard something about changing the fuel injection timing for this purpose, but I'd appreciate any input.

Old 06-08-2007 | 11:00 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Tuning for gas mileage?

I don't know about tuning it to get better mileage, but you can use a ECU programmer.

There are several things you can do, to gain economy AND power. Just to name a few.
-Replace OE exhaust with an aftermarket
-get a K&N intake or drop-in filter
-Electric radiator fan

Old 06-09-2007 | 06:07 PM

Thanks I'll try these things when I have the money...

Old 06-10-2007 | 12:37 PM

I have heard before that an aftermarket intake can wear on the long term life of the engine. Is this possible? I'd prefer a more efficient one over one that's strictly for power and is harder on the engine. Maybe the K&N is more efficient and only helps? I'm new to these things. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-10-2007 | 03:05 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

An aftermarket setup, works just as good, if not better than factory, durability wise, the only issue people have with aftermarket setups, is the same you might get from your KN&N drop in... Too much oil on the filter will cause the MAF to get oil on it, and stop it from working properly...

The solution to that, is after the filter is oiled up, take a vacuum or shop-vac to the filter to get any excess oil...

Old 09-20-2007 | 12:54 AM
TwistinChrome is an unknown quantity at this point

Use synthetic oil and make sure your tires are always filled to spec. You will see a huge difference at the pump.

Old 09-21-2007 | 01:31 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

magnets, tornados, and 5 buck resistor lol

Old 10-12-2007 | 09:52 AM
blazinblack is an unknown quantity at this point

you have a blazer you will be lucky to get 20 miles in the city a intake will help with power and gas mileage just dont beat on it if you want good gas mileage. also an exhaust will help. i have a 94 cpi with headers and exhaust and a k&n intake and get about 19-20 city and almost 25 highway when im nice to it
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-12-2007 | 06:25 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Before I put all my extra crap and the bigger tires on, as long as I babied the thing, I could get 20, give or take a .5...

Old 10-12-2007 | 07:28 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

putting on an air intake doesn't hurt the motor like you were told all it is ment for is to increase you air to fuel ratio so there is more air then fuel thus extending you mpg an exhaust helps as well the less stress on the motor the better the mpg you want all the miles in the world to the gallon and have a pretty big budget then you can do this : electric fans, electric water pump, electric with override to manual power steering and those alone will eliminate so much stress on the motor so you will get more miles to the gallon and the cooler your motor is the less fuel you burn if you want to know were to get the power steering unit flaming river has them and as for everything else i would try summit

Quick Reply: Tuning for gas mileage?