Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

VA After-market Legal Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 03:08 PM
dahfrenzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VA After-market Legal Issues

So I've been saving up and looking at airflow, and turbo modifications for over a year now. I have a black 2002 blazer xtreme with 60k miles on it. Supposedly you're not allowed to put anything other than the factory exhaust on a vehicle in VA until it has reached 60k miles. Honestly, I've heard everything from all after-market upgrades are illegal to you have to meet certain size, noise, and emissions regulations; which is obvious but should be unconstitutional. Regardless, does anyone know what these regulations are or where I can find them. I've just been getting lost in burracratic mumble-jumble trying to read through the hundreds of laws online. There is the option of just getting work done, throwing out the catalytic converter and paying the emissions tester $50 to pass it; but despite the low chance of getting caught, I'm not trying to get a felony on my record. Anyway if anyone knows the maximum specifications the 5-0 can't do anything about, please let me know.

thanks guys

Old 08-12-2008, 03:46 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: VA After-market Legal Issues

Have you asked any reputable exhaust shops in your area? Seems that those who make their living installing exhaust systems inVirginia would know what is or isn't legal.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:15 PM
dahfrenzy is an unknown quantity at this point

haha, yeah I have, and I hear different things from different shops. The only mechanics I actually trust do not install after market parts. The places that do give me vague or differing answers. Everyone's just trying to make a buck these days.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Starting Member
95LS is an unknown quantity at this point

id say go for it. how many people have you actually heared of getting a felony for a aftermarket exhaust ? id say the worst thing they would do is not pass you. what part of VA r u from my dad lives in stafford.