Sights N Sounds Post Pictures, Videos, and Sound clips here. Examples: Member signature threads, photo shoots, videos (that do not fit in other sections), etc.

My K5 blew a head gasket. New Engine time!

Old 04-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Beginning Member
WolfsK5 is on a distinguished road
Default My K5 blew a head gasket. New Engine time!

So yeah, I had some valve problems or bad rings. Now the head gasket is blown. I am doing a full longblock replacement. This project will take a while but I am already working on it. Here is a little youtube vid of part one. I will have more parts coming. Subscribe or something to follow the K5's journey back to the roads. Thanks everyone

Old 04-01-2019, 12:28 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Can't watch the video right now, but what do you plan on going back with?

Old 04-01-2019, 02:00 PM
Beginning Member

When I bought the Blazer 1986 Model, the previous guy had put in an 87 or newer block with EFI and computer etc.. It caused issues with California smog check, so I did a top end switch. I installed a new carb, intake, fuel system, etc, and took out all the old EFI and computer stuff to make it smog legal. NOW since the head gasket blew, I am buying a 87and newer longblock 350. I will just swap the longblocks and replace the old engine. I will be so happy to do this since that engine was a mystery. I knew it was used but the previous owner probably got it from a junkyard or something.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:44 PM
BF Veteran

So, California wouldn't let you put fuel injection in place of a carb? FI has to be more efficient and cleaner than a carb.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Beginning Member

yep, it was more than annoying. Cannot upgrade it to new technology. Maybe one day I will be able to hog it out and put some real power in there.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:12 PM
BF Veteran

I've got one last inspection on mine, and I don't even have to do emission testing anymore!

Old 04-01-2019, 08:00 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Come to Wyoming we haven't had any sort of inspections or emission testing since the early 70s

Old 04-01-2019, 08:04 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by odat
Come to Wyoming we haven't had any sort of inspections or emission testing since the early 70s
Most of Texas doesn't. Only metropolitan counties, and counties adjacent. If I was like ten miles south, would only need a safety inspection.

Oh well, after I get inspected in July, it'll only be lights, wipers, horn and $7 from then on out

Old 04-02-2019, 12:09 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by WolfsK5
yep, it was more than annoying. Cannot upgrade it to new technology. Maybe one day I will be able to hog it out and put some real power in there.
You can swap in a newer engine in California, but it has to have all the emission controls that go with the model year engine. I'm guessing that whoever swapped it in didn't keep all the proper parts.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:52 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Tom A
You can swap in a newer engine in California, but it has to have all the emission controls that go with the model year engine. I'm guessing that whoever swapped it in didn't keep all the proper parts.
it was a mess. I got the K5 cheap but paid for it in the motor in the longrun heh.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My K5 blew a head gasket. New Engine time!