Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

02 Blazer 2WD rear end replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 06:13 PM
rtweedly is on a distinguished road
Default 02 Blazer 2WD rear end replacement

I'm just looking for info ... I'm driving a 2002 Blazer LS 4.3L, 2 WD, 2 door,, 5 Speed with 204,000 on it.. My rear end is getting ready to go out, Does anyone know of a location to buy a remanufactured 10 bolt rear end? I've been searching all the usual haunts but can only find a 4x4 10 bolt. And before you say rebuild, well it's obvious you haven't met me yet. I don't have that luxury, I know as soon as I open that can or worms, it will go as far south as it can possible go. Just easier to start out with buying as the only option.

Any and all assistance is appreciated.
Thanks
rtweedly

Old 07-24-2021, 06:04 AM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

I don't mess with gears (yet) myself but I do get into a lot of other stuff. Why would that 4x4 axle not be the same? I'm thinking it should be.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I don't mess with gears (yet) myself but I do get into a lot of other stuff. Why would that 4x4 axle not be the same? I'm thinking it should be.
I'm no mechanic, so I leave it to them to answer that question.... I did ask, and was told because it won't...

Old 07-24-2021, 07:17 AM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

I'd wait for someone who knows for sure what's different or what isn't to come along because I'm having trouble buying that it's not the same.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:54 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

The 4x4 axles are longer.

For what it would cost you to buy a remanufactured assembly, you can probably take it to a decent shop and have your current rear end repaired. I'm not sure what's wrong with it (you weren't very specific), but just replacing bearings (or even an axle shaft) isn't super expensive.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:04 AM

Tom A.
Thanks for your input... It was recommended by my Machnic that it would be more cost efficient to put a new one on it vs. The rebuild because of my high milage and not actually knowing how bad the guts are, plus ive been driving it since 03' and have no intention of letting it go.... Get new, and know exactly what you're getting...

Old 07-25-2021, 10:27 AM
BF Veteran

In that case, you can probably get one from LKQ. They have access to pretty much unlimited cores, so they should be able to remanufacture whatever you need. I doubt you're going to be able to find a brand new one anywhere.

That said, if your mechanic takes the rear end out and brings it to a reputable rear end shop (not just a shop that "works on" rear ends) for a rebuild, you'll end up with basically the same thing.

Also, when you say "10 bolt", I assume you're talking about the stock 7.6" rear, right? The 8.5/8.6" is commonly referred to as a 10-bolt, as well.

Last edited by Tom A; 07-25-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:33 AM

I've got the 8.5" ring gear and that's been my biggest issue in finding what I need.... No problem finding 4x4, no problem finding 4x2 7.6".... but hell finding a 8.5 4x2....

Old 07-25-2021, 11:42 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by rtweedly
I've got the 8.5" ring gear and that's been my biggest issue in finding what I need.... No problem finding 4x4, no problem finding 4x2 7.6".... but hell finding a 8.5 4x2....
Gotcha. That makes a lot more sense now.

It's kinda funny because, among the full-size truck crowd, it's literally almost impossible to give a 10-bolt away for free, especially if it has a G80 locker (I know from first-hand experience).

Anyway, good luck. Sorry I don't have more to offer.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:54 PM

Tom A

i do appreciate your time and imput. As I know that I don't know much.... any and all information is of value... The more I get, the more I have to compare and that gives me a basis to make and educated decision...

👍

Thanks...

Quick Reply: 02 Blazer 2WD rear end replacement