Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

1995 Blazer Wont kick out of 4 wheel DR

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 PM
insanefirewall is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 Blazer Wont kick out of 4 wheel DR

Ok i bought a chevy blazer 1995. high miles etc.

kinda of a small project vehical. the actuator under the battery, was shot so i replaced it. But still wont leave 4 wheel and go into 2 wheel. it will go from 4 Hi into 2 Low but not into 2 from either one. I can only do this in Nutreul.

But after i disconnected the cable and airhose from the actuator ,,,, it STILl will kick into 4 Hi and low.... ummm...

I pulled the Fuse for the 4 wheel drive. but the 4 wheel Hi lite stays lit.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 02-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Beginning Member
gocart879 is on a distinguished road

i have found that the lights will work on the dash as long as the transfer case is working correctly. What your front cable is doing is locking the front differential. that is all its responsible for.

if you unhook the front cable, jack up the front and rear of truck and see if front wheels free spin, that will tell you if its locked in still or not. if it is locked in, chances are your cable is hung up or bound and thats why it wont release.

there is a small valve(its called a valve switch) on top of your transfer case, it diverts vacuum flow to different areas of the vehicle depending on what you select on your dash. these are known to fail and could cause your issue(constant sucking on the actuator which pulls the cable tight and locks front axle)

is the actuator sucked in all the time?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Thumbs up

i cant see it since the battery is on top of it. But my guess as of rite now is that after i took the vacume hose and cable out of the actuator, the cable must of got bumbed or hooked into the wall or something that pushed the cable in maybe? ( its 9 30 Pm rite now too late to check )

Can i jack up Just the front end and see if the front wheels free spin or do i have to jack the whole truck up off the ground at once?

Is there a way to "manually" disengadge 4 wheel completly or is it all vacume lol.

Thanks i appreciate the help

Old 02-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Beginning Member
gocart879 is on a distinguished road

you need to take that battery tray out and look at the actuator situation itself. sounds to me like your cable is bound up and locking up the front end. try and grab onto the cable and see if it freely moves back and forth. and let us know what happens

Old 02-18-2011, 02:22 PM

the actuator is not hooked up at all vacum and cable are not in the actuator right now and it still goes from 4 hi to 4 low but not into 2Hi. Is there a way i can start it up and pull or push on the cable to manually put it into 2Hi or no. cable movement is all fine tho.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you cannot get the transfer case to shift into 2HI, then there is a problem with the encoder motor or possibly internal to the transfer case, not with the vacuum or cable system which deals only with the front axle on the truck. I recently repaired a condition very similar to this on a 99 Sonoma with the NV233 transfer case (same as what your truck has) and it was caused by a chewed up gear in the encoder motor assembly.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:05 PM

ahh. its weird it wont even 'try' to do anything with 2 hi,
OK, but will try a few other things.. i havent gone over all the vacum lines yet..
i thought i heared that in order to stay in 4 wheel hi or low that has to have constant vacum. If it looses vacume it drops out of 4 wheel back to 2 wheel. maybe im wrong..

Old 02-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is what happened in my uncle's truck that prohibited the shift to 2HI:

Notice the missing teeth on the gear. The missing teeth prohibited the encoder motor from moving back to the 2HI position. The position I put the gears in is close to 2HI. It was actually stuck on the other side where only 4HI, Neutral, and 4LO.

Attached Thumbnails 1995 Blazer Wont kick out of 4 wheel DR-img_4031.jpg  
Old 02-18-2011, 08:35 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by insanefirewall
that in order to stay in 4 wheel hi or low that has to have constant vacum. If it looses vacume it drops out of 4 wheel back to 2 wheel. maybe im wrong..

sorry to say brother, but you are wrong about that.

Kyle has more than likely nailed it. take off the encoder motor and see if you can move the t-case selector by hand. you'll need to remove the front drive shaft first.

if you can move the t-case, then you're stuck with the encoder motor being an issue.

also...........after re-reading your OP, i noticed something in it.

you mention something about going into 2LO. there is no 2LO. you have 2HI, 4HI & 4LO. maybe i misread it (which is why i re-read it again)

Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 AM

yea i did mean 4 lo sorry. Ok so it seems to be more and more with the encoder motor. sucks i have to take off the front drive shaft first. This is my work vehical too lol.

But i will give this a try. How bad is taking off the front drive shaft..? wait forget it. I know im in for a treat. i will have to just pay someone to do this.

p.s. anyone in here live in Michigan?

Quick Reply: 1995 Blazer Wont kick out of 4 wheel DR