Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

1999 ZR2 Blazer - Steering Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Beginning Member
azzr2 is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 ZR2 Blazer - Steering Help

Hi Guys, I've searched high and low all over the forum and at this point I have to make a post. Maybe my skills in searching threads neeeds some work.

Anyway, I have a 99 ZR2 and it's getting nearly impossible to keep this thing on the road. The steering feels tight, but it wonders all over the road, I'm sure driving down the interstate I look like a drunk. It's that difficult to keep it in between the lines.

I took a peek under it this weekend while changing the oil. This is an Arizona rig with no rust,

#1 - UCA and LCA bushings appear dry rotted and cracked with chunks missing.

#2. - My sway bar bushings are all dry rotted and cracked but intact.

#3. - I have not been able to get assistance from a second person to actually do the load test by moving the steering wheel back and forth. Wife is about to have a baby in 3 weeks so I'd much rather just replace all this stuff since I have lost any faith in it being "ok".

Where can I order new Upper and Lower control arms with bushings and ball joints? I'd rather purchase the new OEM UCA's and LCA's but i can't find any on the net that are compatible with the ZR2 package.

how much does it usually cost at a shop to just install bushings?
I have limited front end experience here with IFS and control arms. But I'm not afraid to turn the wrenches and swap stuff out, I'm more afraid of doing it wrong and causing more problems.

It almost seems as if it's cheaper and easier to just replace the UCA's and LCA's instead of trying to install new bushings.

Anyone have any advice?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:41 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Did you check your idler or pitman arms? If they go bad it can cause something like what you are exp i think.
when mine went i thought at first maybe shocks..when i hit bumps or turns it would want to wander...maybe search those and see if that is similar...as far as bushings try moog brand on synergy offroad site.

Last edited by warthogdriver; 03-05-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks, I'll check that site out.
When I hit bumps and stuff I don't notice anything.
Only when I'm trying to drive straight on a flat smooth surface, it just wants to shoot one way then the other way. It's a nice upper body workout trying to keep the thing between the lines. lol
I have no vibrations or anything other than very light "clunk" sound when i turn left or right. Everything actually feels tight and solid.
Now I'm starting to wonder if my tires are worn funny and if my alignment might be off. Or if I have a bad tie rod. I think I'll take it to a shop and have them check it out and see what they say. I suppose blindly replacing parts based on assumptions could be pretty costly.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:22 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

yeah, what i do is go to local shop...get an "estimate" i call it a parts list.
then go to parts store of choice and shop.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Beginning Member

That is exactly what I will do tomorrow. It needs an A/C recharge anyway, they said they'd inspect my front end and tell me what's going on with it. I'll update the tread once I know more.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran

Good deal.
You can recharge your air yourself...i get the large canister with the gauge and line on top and away i go...inst on it make it pretty easy. I have done a couple of my cars that way.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:05 PM
1CrazyJoe is on a distinguished road

I have the same truck and just replaced the idler arm, pitman arm, steering damper, and tie rods. drives like new again. I bought all my parts from RockAuto.com. Most of the parts there were almost half the cost of the local auto parts stores.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 PM
BF Veteran

+1
rockauto.com is great for parts.
there is a discount thread on here somewhere....whenever some of us get a discount code we post it. 5% off...still savings.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Beginning Member

Awesome, I was checking out rockauto.com today. I was a little confused, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be looking for parts with the "high rider" description or not since some of them were posted as "exc high rider"

Example:

DORMAN Part # 520142 {#15018808, 15777768}
Includes Ball Joint and Bushings; Front Right Lower; 4WD; Exc. High Rider Pkg.

vs

DORMAN Part # 520140 {#15661508, 8156615080}
Includes Ball Joint and Bushings; Front Right Upper; 4WD

I know one is upper and one is lower, but I also wasn't sure if the ZR2's had specific UCA's or LCA's in relation to the ZR2 suspension package.

Are they pretty much standard on all the 4x4's?

Also I didn't see AC Delco as an available item, only MOOG, Raysbestos, Dorman and MEVOTECH. I realize cheaper isn't always better. Anyone every tossed any of these in a ZR2?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 1CrazyJoe
I have the same truck and just replaced the idler arm, pitman arm, steering damper, and tie rods. drives like new again. I bought all my parts from RockAuto.com. Most of the parts there were almost half the cost of the local auto parts stores.
Thanks, I'll toss those on the list too!

Quick Reply: 1999 ZR2 Blazer - Steering Help