Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

2000 front end - what to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Beginning Member
rjohnson2 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 front end - what to replace?

i have a 2000 4x4 that i bought with 70,000 and it is now at 160,000.

just had ball joints on the driver side go which resulted in new ball joints, lower control arm & left side axle?...

i was planning on doing the passenger side ball joints myself and when we went to do them we didnt have the right socket for the big nut holding the hub assembly?? something special or just a big deep socket? size?

anyways we are planning on going back at it this weekend and there is a lot of play in the wheels when holding 9&3 so we were planning on doing outer tie rods as well.

i just wanted to see what else i should just go ahead and replace while we have it up this weekend? idler arm? inner tie rods? etc?

also is there any diagrams with all these parts labeled on the blazer? i have done lots of my own service to this but never front end stuff so to be honest im not even 100% sure what everything is

if memory serves some shop replaced the pitman arm when they had it in for something else not too long ago but other than that and the stuff i just had replaced on the drivers side, no front end stuff has been replaced besides shocks

Old 07-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member
rjohnson2 is on a distinguished road

this is what happened to the drivers side. trying to keep it from happening again... any suggestions what else i should replace besides right side ball joints?

Attached Thumbnails 2000 front end - what to replace?-img_20130621_234724.jpg   2000 front end - what to replace?-img_20130621_234718.jpg  
Old 07-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Karcinagin is an unknown quantity at this point

Idler arm and ball joints are common wear items on blazers/s10. The idler arm could be where you are getting the wheel play/vibration from. Buy the best, Moog they have lifetime warranty on upper and lower ball joints and also get a mood idler arm. Amazon or rockauto is you friend for cheap auto parts.
But based on your pics looks like a rust a-arm is what caused you to have have the problem that or a combo of rust and a bad ball joint.
I believe the axle nut is a 36mm, you can rent a socket at most auto places that have a loan a tool program.
When you work on it check the wheel hubs for play also along with your cv joints on the front half-shafts and check the sway bar end link, they get really rust, $10 will get you new bolts and bushings.
Got more questions just ask.
As for diagrams everything is fairly simple. if you take a look at it and are still unsure get a pic and ask.

steps for the ball joints from memory.
1. block rear tires
2. jack up front
3. place jack stands under frame
4. remove wheel
5. remove axle nut (breaker-bar and socket along with pry bar to keep it from spinning)
6. remove brake caliper. (2 18mm bolts I think, use wire or something to hold up caliper to no put stress on the brake line)
7. unbolt brake line mount from a-arm (may not need to do this)
8. Remove rotor
9. Unbolt outer tie-rod from steering knuckle(may not need to do this also)
10. Use a jack and wood block to help with the angle from the flat jack and the angle on the a-arm or you would trip the jack.
11. remove nut on upper or lower ball joint (not sure if top or bottom is better to start with.)
12. Note if stock ball joints they are riveted on so you just cut them off or use and air chisel
13. do note the bracket for the abs sensor wire is on top of the ball joint.
14. separate the ball joint and the steering knuckle. Pickle fork or a press (rent from local auto store)
15. do steps 11-14 again for the upper or lower joint.
16. pull steering knuckle from axle shaft (puller may be needed)
17. Now remove the ball joints.
18. replace/install everything.
19. torque all items to spec.

I know I forgot a few thing but just keep a look for it like the abs wire I think it has 2 clips and a connector that can be taken off also.

Last edited by Karcinagin; 07-19-2013 at 08:32 PM.