Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

2000 jimmy noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:34 PM
jimmy43 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 jimmy noise?

What would cause my 2000 jimmy 4.3 to have a whirrling sound from the rear under mild acceleration up hills, but not downhill or flat roads? Wheel bearing,u joint?

Old 05-24-2012, 11:24 PM

Well I guess no one can help...... Anyone know if my 2000 jimmy sle has the deep pan filter or the shallow one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

On the sound, it could be a number of things. Under what conditions does it occur (engine RPM, throttle position, ground speed, etc)? Is it gear/RPM/ground-speed dependent? Does temperature (either outside temperature or the operating temperature of the engine) change the tone/timing of the noise?

As far as your pan depth goes, there is no concrete way to know for sure without looking at it with your own two eyes. I have posted the pictures & measurements in the past. A search for "deep+shallow+pan+measurement" with an author of "swartlkk" should get you a short list of threads to search through.

And it's not that no one can help you. Its more that everyone is busy with their own things and sometimes overlook posts on the forums. It helps if you bump your post after a day or two and not make negative comments.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:29 PM

It does it between 20 and 40 mph, its definately consistant with rpm and speed. It's almost a grinding rubbing noise. I did notice the rear u joints seem to be binding but I would think that would be more of a clunking and vibration issue. And now it hesitates shifting as well so I am going to replace the tps and see what I come up with. The trans was completely rebuilt at 120k it now has 157k on it. Someone said the solenoids and the sun shell could be bad causeing the noise and shifting issues. The shop replaced the sun shell with one called the beast....

Old 05-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The Beast sun-shell is very difficult to break so I doubt that is your issue. It could be a load dependent issue with the torque converter, but that should exhibit the same characteristics whenever that load & RPM occur, not necessarily tied to ground speed. If it is definitely tied to ground speed & load, I would really take a concentrated look at the drive shaft u-joints and, after that, the rear axle.