Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

2001 4wd Blazer rear end differential clicking noise

Old 03-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Beginning Member
tahwos is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 4wd Blazer rear end differential clicking noise

A few weeks ago, I noticed a clicking noise, whenever I turn right. It's louder the fast I turn - but doesn't seem to happen when I go slow - unless I bump the gas and add some torque. Thoughts?

RPO code GU6

Open Diff

3.42:1

4 wheel drive

4 wheel disc

The audio/video eventually gets out of sync - I back out of the drive and go to the end of the street, then make a hard right turn from a stop (no noise yet), then a long sweeping right (clicking starts), hard right (clicking), another hard right (more clicking), and lastly a hard left back into my drive (no clicking). If I come from the other direction, and make a hard right into my drive, it will sometimes click, but not always. It does not click when turning left - at any speed.

Got an appointment with the dealer Thursday morning to look at it. It's my daily driver, thinkng about going ahead and swapping in a locking diff.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

you could have broken a gear in the diff. perhaps a spider gear. that would mean you would have to change the carrier or rebuild the one that you have. just what im thinking anyway. keep us posted.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Beginning Member

The entire day of the appt. with the dealer - it would not do it... started doing it again Friday morning, night, today... ugh!

Old 03-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

did they drive it did you? sometimes they really baby things so as to not break anything or have something fail. driving style can hide/show a host of problems. happened to me with a fuel pump. took it to a little garage when i was out of state and the guy checking it out said it was fine. i told him to give it some throttle, he gently gave it some gas, again, told me it was fine. i told him thats not how that car gets driven. i got in it and snapped the throttle about 3/4 and the fuel pressure fell like a stone from a plane. kind of opened his eyes. just a thought though.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Beginning Member

me - taking it in monday or tuesday

Old 03-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Starting Member
Riverman253 is on a distinguished road

Just rebuilt the rear in my 2000 LS blazer... started with the same kind of clicking noise and some play in the rear, then one day out of the blue the rear end just went... spider gears were gone half the teeth were missing...
So I decided to just rebuild the entire rear end including, new axles, bearings, and complete rear break replacement I even replaced the backing plates... One thing I did instead of messing with the locker, since I was doing a total rebuild I up graded to a full posi-traction carrier and couldn't be happier...

Good Luck... my guess is you'll be rebuilding the rear soon...Sorry

Last edited by Riverman253; 03-25-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Beginning Member

Most definitely not the rear end - going to get a couple of Flip recorders at the pawn shop today, in hopes of tracking it down.

With Spring now in full swing, I'm able to hear the more subtle times that it makes the noise - i.e. windows down at night and parking garages. It will also stop making the clicking noise and switch to a quiet grinding noise, like a worn pad. The right kind of bump will make it click a couple of times too.

Coasting to a stop in straight line, I can hear it randomly click - same noise - but with the rhythm of a rock in a hub cap, just a lot quieter, followed by scraping/grinding - feet off all pedals. Applying the brakes changes nothing. If it's clicking, it keeps doing it, if it's scraping, the tone does not change.

I've obviously got something loose - I just have to find it. It went almost a whole week, at two different times, without making a peep. It's time to check my calipers and pads anyway - maybe even replace the rusted dust covers.

Last edited by tahwos; 04-20-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Beginning Member
Default e-brake

Haven't taken it apart yet, but I can make it go away, by depressing the e-brake pedal. I'm thinking "broken retainer"... letting the e-brake shoe flop down, on the back of the axle flange.