Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

2001 4x4 broke axles and locked up

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009 | 05:49 PM
nygneonkurtis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2001 4x4 broke axles and locked up

heres the cookie.

2001 s-10 blazer ls with a tow package.

i live in michigan and got stuck on the frame on some snow/ice. i kept going back and forth not to the floor or anything. i was in low range. i was backing up and heard a pop zzzzzz. i got out and looked and i blew out the drivers side axle. which isnt a big deal cause i had changed the passenger side 2 months ago with a remanufactured. so i got it unstuck in 2wd and went and bought a NEW axle as it was only ten bucks more than the remanufactured. i put it in.

heres the problem.

after putting in the drivers side axle, i took it off the jack and put it in 4x4 to test and once again POP. got out to look and the passenger side axle blew out. didnt think much of it, thought maybe it was just stressed from being in 4x4 when the other one blew. went and got a brand new one of those and had it three quarters of the way in and relized it would not turn. well it turned but only about 4 inches and stopped. put it on 4 jack stands to test 4x4 freely and you could here it switch to 4x4 and the front driveshaft would turn but nothing to the wheels. i then removed both front axles so i could at least drive it in 2wd.

is this the front differential? or something a lot more simple? cause i really do not want to spend my whole check on a new one unless needed.

thanks much in advance,

Old 02-25-2009 | 06:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2001 4x4 broke axles and locked up

If the outer driveshafts will not turn, then you have something chunked up inside the front diff pretty good. If the driveshaft to the front diff spins freely, I would suspect that the ring and/or pinion have grenaded and are what is stopping the rest of the diff from turning.

Remember to snap some pics when you have it out and apart!!

Old 02-25-2009 | 06:37 PM

thank you!

couple questions: what gear ratio is it so i can look for it online? and is it cheaper to have this repaired or get one from a junk yard? or is this something i could repair myself?

i will take pictures.
thanks again,
kurtis

Old 02-25-2009 | 06:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Being a split case, it is quite difficult to setup. I can walk you through the process, but it would be far cheaper to find one from the junkyard to swap in.

Your gear ratio will be listed on the RPO code list located on a label affixed to the glove box door. You will be looking for the GU_ or GT_ codes.

GT4 Rear Axle: 3.73 Ratio
GT5 Rear Axle: 4.10 Ratio
GU4 Rear Axle: 3.08 Ratio
GU6 Rear Axle: 3.42 Ratio

Old 02-25-2009 | 06:52 PM

thanks again

Old 02-25-2009 | 06:57 PM

do you by chance know what years are interchangeable?

Old 02-25-2009 | 06:59 PM
Administrator

Should be anything 96+. If you find a ZR2 or some 5spd Blazes, you may be able to get yourself an iron front diff.

Old 02-25-2009 | 07:07 PM

good deal. should be pulling out this friday. will take some pics.

Old 02-25-2009 | 07:21 PM
Administrator

Areas of interest to many include where the front axle engagement mechanism is located (where the passenger side extension tube meets the differential housing) and then just a look inside the diff at the carnage! Well, that last one is just an area of interest to me!

Old 02-25-2009 | 09:21 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

x2 on internal carnage pics

Also as a side note, the re-manufactured stock axles seem to have a better track record for longevity than the aftermarket replacements. Ive seen quite a few threads on other forums about stripped and shattered aftermarket axles, but only serious situations broke the re-manufactured.

Id also be interested in some pics on the disassembly of the diff.

Quick Reply: 2001 4x4 broke axles and locked up