Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4wd actuator

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Beginning Member
Aanenson is on a distinguished road
Default 4wd actuator

my 4wd dont work and im thinking its the front axle actuator, how hard is it to get to and would it be fine just zip tying it open to lock the front axle?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Starting Member
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road

We need information on your truck: Year, how many buttons on the switch or is it a lever on the floor. Stuff like that.

Now what makes you think that it is the actuator?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:29 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

he said it all, Aanenson.

if it has a push button system, it could be any # of things. like the TCCM (usually the main issue), encoder motor, wiring.

with either system it could also be the vacuum switch on the t-case.

your lack of info makes it impossible to help properly diagnose the root to your problem.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Beginning Member

its a 2001 4 door 4.3 liter, ive replaced the actuator at the transfercase, and the buttons do work (2 hi 4 hi 4 lo and auto 4wd) i know that, cause its gone in to 4wd a couple of times and now its not going in at all, the service 4wd light is on and comes on about 10 mins after i start driving it, i was just wondering if it would be ok to zip tie the actuator open to lock the front axle, and thanks for pointing out the problems i made on here, im still getting used to it.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Starting Member
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road

If the service 4WD light is on, it isn't the actuator. For that light to be tripped, it is probably the TCCM or something else, but in that case, it is not the actuator

Old 01-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Beginning Member

ok thanks! ill look into that, how much would it be to replace one?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:25 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

my tccm went and i had no service 4wd light, just sayin'

Old 01-21-2011, 07:49 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for stating that it's a 4-buttom system. it's another key point in diagnosis.

have you checked all of the wiring @ the plugs (inside & under the trck)? along the length of them for any wear?

question. is this something that is new (the 4WD not working) or was it present when you bought the truck?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:06 AM
Beginning Member

weve had 4wd problems before but it was the acuator at the transfer case, it was a hand-me-down from my dad, i have not had a chance to look at the buttons yet, but if the lights on it should be in working order right?

Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 AM
BF Guru

there is no actuator @ the t-case, it's called an encoder motor.

there's a sticky on how to diagnose the switch, to see if indeed that is what the problem is..

now where is that sticky.........................

you can look HERE to start. look through the transmission section and you see what you're after.

Quick Reply: 4wd actuator