Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4wd help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:09 AM
gunner338 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 4wd help

Ive read through multiple articles about 4wd not working, and haven't really came across my issue yet, so here is the rundown. I have a 00' ZR2. I was out wheeling last night and attempted to switch to 4 high. Not only would the button not work, but the truck decided to switch itself to 4 low instead. I couldn't put it back to 2 high, but I could switch to "auto 4wd". The 2 high and 4 high buttons do not work. I unplugged the battery and it went back to 2 high, but the same issue with the buttons is happening. I checked all the vacuum lines and hoses, and replaced a decent section of damaged line, with no change. What other issues could I be looking at?

Old 07-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Common problem is corrosion on the connector at the TCCM. If the corrosion is between the two pins that lead up to the dash switch, it can throw off the resistance of the circuit and cause it to switch mode/range at random. The Tech Article on the NV236 transfer case runs through this as well as the expected resistance values for the switch that can be easily tested with a DMM at the TCCM connection.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:44 AM
gunner338 is on a distinguished road

So I should check for corrosion at the tccm first?

Old 07-22-2015, 10:02 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gunner338
So I should check for corrosion at the tccm first?
Yes, and you can also check the resistance through the control switch at the TCCM when different buttons are pushed. This will require you to read and understand the schematics for those circuits.

Here is the link:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...rmation-41198/

Old 08-24-2015, 11:40 PM
filtalr is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering if you ever found a solution. Mine is doing somewhat the about same thing. Started in 4wd low one day .. then it was stuck in 4 auto .. and had to reset TCCM to get it back into 2 hi. Hope it stays there long enough for me to find what's wrong. Pulled the TCCM and checked connectors. Checked vacuum actuator is holding vacuum and cable travel is good. Got fluid ordered -- hope it keeps working until it comes so I can change it -- sorely overdue for a fluid change...