Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4wd noy working..

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Starting Member
Charder is on a distinguished road
Default 4wd noy working..

I cant get my 4wd to do anything.. the switch on the dash flashes once when I start the truck but then dont come back on..my mechanic told me its the actuator on the front diff. But I dont know how to test ot.. can someone point me in the right direction on how to test it..

Old 10-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Starting Member
JasonGoneFishing is on a distinguished road

This is the initial video that helped me diagnose my problem

I had to replace the vacuum lines, the 4wd actuator was fine and on my 1999 blazer it sits under the battery tray and you can test it to make sure it works before replacing it, there is a YT video out there that shows you how to do it, I cant remember if this video shows it or not, I'm at work and cant watch it but I can look for it tonight.

When I pressed the 4wd button, it flashed and then went off as well. Since replacing these parts the 4wd has worked perfectly.

I initially found out the hard way that I had no 4wd, I went off road and got stuck in the river. I put it in 4 high and low and the front tires never spun, had to be towed out by a fellow Jeep owner riding in the river bed as well.

I forget the name but this is what I replaced, it sits on top of the transmission, its not hard to reach either. There is I think a ball bearing on one side, the one I had I was not able to push down, but the new one I bought I was able too. This part just screws in. I'm sure someone on here can name the part when they see this.

Attached Thumbnails 4wd noy working..-maxresdefault.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Starting Member

I cant even press the 4wd button.. the lights only come on for a secomd when tbe truck is started then go off and stay off..

Old 10-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Starting Member
JasonGoneFishing is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Charder
I cant even press the 4wd button.. the lights only come on for a secomd when tbe truck is started then go off and stay off..
Before I replaced those parts I checked the fuses and someone on here mentioned that the button assembly/selector switch may need to be replaced, but before I did that I replaced the others. Now I don't have to replace the selector switch.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:29 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

*Moved to steering, suspension, and drivetrain*

Old 10-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by JasonGoneFishing
Before I replaced those parts I checked the fuses and someone on here mentioned that the button assembly/selector switch may need to be replaced, but before I did that I replaced the others. Now I don't have to replace the selector switch.
Checked fuses..all were good

How do I test to see if my 4wd switch on the dash is working or not??

Last edited by Charder; 10-26-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Starting Member

bump.. need to get my 4wd fixed before snow comes

Old 10-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road

I would start by checking all your vacuum lines. Mine did the same as yours light never coming on, I replaced all the vacuum lines I could see in the engine compartment whether they were related to the issue or not. You can by a 50ft roll of vacuum tubing on amazon for around $10. My vacuum actuator under the battery was doing nothing at all until after I replaced the vacuum lines. And almost ALL of my lines were rotted out.

If you push the 4hi or 4lo button does the transfer case do anything? regardless of lights you can still push the button. Just make sure you are in neutral when you do it.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Starting Member

I checked all the vacuum lines all are good.. I get vacuum up until the actuator on the firewall..but nothing happens at all when I press any button on the dash.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Beginning Member
RedneckDeck94 is on a distinguished road

I am havin the same problem. I replaced a bunch of lines. the accuator. And still nlthin. Cables are good. Have olenty of vacuum. I have no idea what the hell is wrong. Confusin the hell outta meh. Grrr.

Quick Reply: 4wd noy working..