Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4x4 Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Starting Member
9Blazer6 is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 Help!!!!!

I have a 1996 Blazer LT 4dr. I purchased it last March and my dad owned it before me. When he had it, the 4 wheel drive worked fine. When i got it and first tried using it it didnt work. And i hear nothing but problems with this electronic 4x4 system. So before i start digging at things and looking at vaccum lines im hoping somebody could possibly give me a good place to start.

So, When i put it 4high the button works (lights up) and you can hear the transfer case switching over....but the front diff doesnt lock in. So i found my actuator under my battery tray (dumb) and i checked to see if that was engaging..and it wasnt. So i lifted all 4 wheels off the ground and had a friend sit in it, put it in drive and i manually pushed the actuator 'pin' in myself and THERE the front tire moves....

Therefore, i'm not sure which vaccume line to check or that means its a bad actuator. If somebody could give me a diagram or some pictures that would be great!!

Thanks a ton!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Starting Member
Katmandu is on a distinguished road

The Search button/feature is your friend. :>)

Check this out.....

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...ill-help-7180/

Old 06-07-2011, 09:40 AM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Well if you can manually push the button in the tcase switch and it works and when you push the 4hi button and your front driveshaft spins than means its the transfer case switch. Here try this thread, Im not sure if its fully what your looking for but it might help the 4x4 vacuum thread. - S-10 Forum

Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Starting Member

Well i looked at that link you gave me and tons of useful information. I will go home tonight and try a few of those methods. hopefully i wont be back. Thanks guys!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 9Blazer6
hopefully i wont be back. Thanks guys!
Well, please do let us know what the cause & resolution happened to be!

Old 06-08-2011, 11:27 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

You can always do this if it is a vacuum problem.
4x4 Posi-Lok Positive Axle Engagement System for Chevy/GMC S-Series 4x4s

Old 06-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Starting Member

dksdad,

have you done this mod? any recommendations? Is it easy to install? Let me know that would be pretty simple from the discription...

THANKS

Old 06-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Cheaper alternative:
Homemade posi-lock cable system

Old 06-09-2011, 03:29 AM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

I just ordered my posi lock cable today. I would have loved to do the cheaper alternative but i dont trust connecting 2 cables together with a clamp. I like how this runs straight to the differential!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Starting Member

i agree with paulo2288. It does seem a little tacky but if it will work as people have stated i might give it a whirl. I would like to go straight to the front differential but in reality $200-300 is crazy for a piece of metal line..

Last edited by 9Blazer6; 06-09-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Help!!!!!