Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4x4 Posi-Lok 500 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:05 AM
watsonmt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 Posi-Lok 500 question

i found this the other day and im wondering exactly what it does it sounds like it locks your front wheel does this mean that both wheel will spin like a locker im likely wrong but i was just wondering.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Thanks Matt

Old 10-04-2008, 09:39 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4x4 Posi-Lok 500 question

It simply replaces the vacuum operated 4x4 switch to a mechanical, cable-driven switch. No lockers involved. Just a more reliable way to switch to 4wd.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:42 AM
watsonmt is an unknown quantity at this point

oh ok thanks

Old 10-04-2008, 10:26 AM
bad350v8s10tahoe is an unknown quantity at this point

It is much more reliable than the vaccum system, i am getting one before the snow flies again. I also like the fact that it gives the second option of a 2WD low range to give you the rear wheel torque of 4-LO, and the bind-free steering action of 2-HI.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:08 PM
mysons95 is an unknown quantity at this point

My first post to this forum. But I've read a ton and learned even more.

My son just purchased a 95 s10 blazer. I'm wanting to replace the vacuum actuator with a cable pull system.

I've read about 20 topics from this forum, each containing about 15 posts.

I'm planning on fabricating my own locking cable system. But I have some specific questions that I have not been able to get answered using the search, or at least I'm either searching wrong or not understanding the specifics.

1. I found Hanr3's post where he references another forum where he posted pictures of his installation of a cable system.
http://offroadworld.tenmagazines.com...ry.asp?id=4266

But this link does not work. I then found his gallery section but when you click, you are sent to the gallery homepage and not to his pics.

Does anyone have any pictures of this installation or do you know how I can view Hanr3's?

2. When you pull the cable, what is the order in which you select the various tcase settings? So, as you pull the cable, what do you get first, then next and next? 4x2 hi, 4x4 hi, 4x2 lo, 4x4 lo? or is there a different order? And is this how you get 4x2 lo?

3. Will my indicator lights on my dash automatically change to let me know what I'm in as I pull the cable further and further?

4. If I pull the cable out, and end up sort of in between two different settings, what will happen? nothing? damage?

5. With my 4x4hi button lit up, or even my 4x4 lo lit up, on gravel, only my rear tires spin. Does this indicate that my tcase is not engaging?

Thank you for your help to a n00b.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:20 PM

When you figure out how to make your own posi-lock pm me with plans please wish i could be of more help but i have never seen one personally, i need a buddy at the local 4wd shop huh [8D]

Old 10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
mysons95 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be sure and take pics as I work through the process of fabrication and installation. But I hate to recreate the wheel if it's already out there. heh[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 10-10-2008, 02:52 PM

May not help much but heres pics, http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-s.html

Old 10-12-2008, 04:42 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Got your email.
click the link again, then in the drop down box find the '87Home Made Posi-Lokgallery and click on it.
If you expand each pic it has a despcription ofwhat I did in each pic.

You can buy the kit and it may be a betterway to go.
Mine was simple a trottle cable fromt eh hardware store andsome old parts I had laying around in teh garage.

As for making it work. Pull the handle/push the button. Sequnce is no big deal, as in it doesn't really matter if you push the button or pull the cable first. Teh button activates the t-case and the vacumm switch in the t-case. Teh cable engages the front axle shafts to teh differential. However the vacuum goes nowhere since you will be removing the actuator under the battery. Plug the hole so debris doesnt get back into the t-case.

Edited to add a more direct link to the pics.
http://offroadworld.tenmagazines.com...mp;album=10757

Old 10-12-2008, 05:18 PM

Cool, kinda what i had in mind. Less work to make and install than i thought it would be too

Quick Reply: 4x4 Posi-Lok 500 question