Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

4x4 vacuum actuator

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4x4 vacuum actuator

Do you have a 3 button switch or a 4 button switch (auto4wd)? The NV233 (3 button switch) uses regular dexron 3 transmission fluid. The NV236 (4 button with auto4wd) requires GM Autotrak 2 fluid available from the dealer.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:07 AM
watsonmt is an unknown quantity at this point

i lost track of the tranny fluid in the vac lines part of this in know that i have alot of tranny fluid in my lines the vac ball came of and burnt on the manifold and it was half full of tranny fluid what is causeing this?

Old 12-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A faulty switch in the transfer case will allow transmission fluid into the vac system. That should be the first thing to replace, but you may also want to pull the upper plug on the back of the transfer case. If transmission fluid pours out, then the input seal on the transfer case has failed, allowing the transmission to pump fluid into the transfer case. The transfer case has to be removed to replace the input seal or at least disconnected and moved backwards enough for you to remove and reinstall the input seal.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:46 PM

just checked and fluid pored out sounds like a job for the spring lol

Old 12-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Administrator

I would not put this off as the transmission fluid will slowly work into the HVAC tubes and that is a ROYAL PAIN to clean out. If you simply cannot complete all of the work necessary now, you should at least clean the vacuum lines and then plug all three of the vacuum tubes down at the diff. Golf tees work great! This is to keep the transmission fluid from working its way up into the HVAC system.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:21 PM

ok thanks for the tip

Old 12-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Oldbowtie is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine is a '95 blazer with a manual transfer case shift lever. I checked and it does indeed run in dexron. I have a new actuator switch installed and did another clean out of the vacuum lines. Mine wasn't leaking bad....my biggest problem was the vacuum lines were tied up with zip ties in several places and there was about three extra feet of line doubled up in a couple places. The line was kinked up along with the vent and wasn't letting the actuator disengage when I took it out of 4wd.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Beginning Member
kmalysa is on a distinguished road

It is Aug 09 buy now I have a similar issue, Constant vaccun at actualtor under battery. But My question is about the transfer case switch. Are you refering to the ball switch at the front diff? If so mine has an electrical (2 pin) connection not vacuum. Or are you referring to the near where the the encoder motor is located because I see a vacuum line back there also?
Thanks Ken