Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

83 K5 sloppy steering with videos

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 06:59 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Definitely some play in the drag link. When was the last time it had any steering components replaced?

Old 03-03-2023, 01:19 PM
Aviodont is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hess13x
Definitely some play in the drag link. When was the last time it had any steering components replaced?
not in the 9 years (1,000 miles I have had it). Only have replaced the leaf springs.

Old 03-15-2023, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A
I would hate to just throw parts at it without finding a specific problem. If you replaced all the bushings, tie rod ends, steering box, ball joints, etc., you could be looking at close to $1000 in parts (pulling a number out of the air).

But I don't think you've checked the ball joints yet, have you? To do so, you would need to jack up one front wheel at a time, grab it at 6 and 12 o'clock, and try to rock it back and forth. There should be no play.

So I jacked up the truck, turned the key to on, spun both tires and did the 9-3 jiggle and the 12-6 jiggle. With the exception of movement due to the tires being under inflated, I could see no movement on the rim when wiggling left-right and up down. I thought the tires spinning made more noise then they should, but maybe you will think it is normal. The second video doesn’t show the right side spinning, but it made the same noise and spun for about the same time. See two videos below

Old 04-10-2023, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A
I would hate to just throw parts at it without finding a specific problem. If you replaced all the bushings, tie rod ends, steering box, ball joints, etc., you could be looking at close to $1000 in parts (pulling a number out of the air).

But I don't think you've checked the ball joints yet, have you? To do so, you would need to jack up one front wheel at a time, grab it at 6 and 12 o'clock, and try to rock it back and forth. There should be no play.
​​​​​​We have decided to rebuild the front end from the point where the steering column meets the fabric joint forward. I don’t want to have to take things apart multiple times.

Do you have (or can you make) a quick schematic of the parts so I don’t miss anything when ordering?

Old 05-26-2023, 07:54 PM

Ok so finally pooled some cash to do this front end!

So we (my 18 year old son and I) are going to rebuild the front end due to sloppy steering. We took off the drag link and the tie rod and the locking hub (or at least part of it).

My questions are: 1) do I have to take the rest of the rotor, spindle etc off to get access to the ball joints, 2) if no, but it is a good idea anyway to change the u-joint, then yes, remove everything? 3) do I have to replace the center pieces of the drag link and tie rod?

Thanks as always for the help!