Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

'86 K5rear sway bar. missing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 03:55 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Question '86 K5rear sway bar. missing?

Were these Blazers made without rear sway bars. I saw some mention that the S- blazers didn't have them in some years.

Also, in the shop manual the rear suspension exploded diagram only shows mounting brackets for a "stabilizer bar" for the "C-K 30/3500 and the P 30/3500 series vehicles.

Is it possible to, or even worth attempting, to install one?

Think this may work? HERE.

Last edited by oisinirish; 04-20-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are you planning on carving corners with your K5? IMO, it is more trouble than it is worth if you are planning on offroading.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Are you planning on carving corners with your K5? IMO, it is more trouble than it is worth if you are planning on offroading.
Don't plan on running any F1 courses, or for that matter jumping any ravines, but eventually will be making this a daily driver.

Would I have to fabricate mounts or are the brackets in the above kit supposed to be what I need? I guess I should just start with the front end bushings and bar, the bushings look pretty worn. Maybe an upgrade of the OEM bar. If a suspension lift is in my future how will that affect the sway bar installation?

Just testing the waters as there are other issues that need attention before I get that far.

It just seems counter-intuitive to me to control body roll on the front and not the back. Almost like twisting the body as the rear rolls more than the front.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is all in how a vehicle is designed and what it is intended to do. Having a bar in the back will limit your rear articulation if you do not work some way into it for disconnecting the bar (same is true for the front).

Honestly, I would wait to see how the truck drives and handles before tossing more things to it. Make sure that you have the other problems requiring $$$ fixed first.

You would likely have to make some modifications to the link length for any suspension lifts.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Honestly, I would wait to see how the truck drives and handles before tossing more things to it. Make sure that you have the other problems requiring $$$ fixed first.

Sound advice. Just kind of spitballing at this point.

My Priorites:
  1. Finish panel replacement, as it's already started.
  2. Rebuild Carb.
  3. Find cause of oil on plugs.
  4. Repair exhaust leaks. Aftermarket exhaust looks like it was installed with clamps holding everything together and no sealant used.
  5. Front sway bar bushings. Shot to Hades.
  6. Tires and alignment.
  7. New carpet and sound blocker.
Luxuries:
  1. Paint job to factory color sheme.
  2. Tranny swap to manual.
  3. Assorted interior.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Yeah, I am planning on putting my K5 on the road to drive through the summer before I do any body work on it. I am getting the mechanical stuff up to snuff and then I'll shake it down over the summer. I would hate to pour a bunch of time into getting the body looking great only to find that the trans was shot!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:55 PM

Ha. Hear ya there. Being as my trans was rebuilt very recently it's still under warranty, the oil issues are definitely a concern though. But i'm committed at this point and if it means swapping in a jasper or some such so be it. It's a project vehicle in the aspect that I like working on it and learning how to do the work required and overall its still cheaper than bowling, what with the beer and all.

I have time though...I misquoted my odometer when I registered so instead of the 14k miles I'm allowed to drive over the next two years I actually have 20k. So I saw *47,000 and wrote *41,000...oops.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Administrator

I was more speaking of my K5. I am already trying to find a 700R4 and NP208 for my truck to swap in. Not because the TH350 is bad or even close to being bad, but I really want to have overdrive.