Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

93 S10 blazer 4x4 wont engage

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Beginning Member
mikes93s10blazer is on a distinguished road
Default 93 S10 blazer 4x4 wont engage

I have a 93 s10 blazer 4x4 with the 4.3 vortec and DOES NOT have the push button 4x4. I recently bought the vehicle and realized that the 4x4 doesnt work. After closer inspection, I noticed that it does shift into the low range, but the front never gets power. When I shift it into 4x4, it does make a clicking noise, indicating it is trying to shift. I have heard that the problem is the vacuum system, and that they fail regularly. Also I have seen that there is a kit to lock the front using cables in lue of the vacuum deally. I also have heard of the chain snapping inside the T-case on some occasions. Assuming the problem is the vacuum system, where do I get the cable lock system to replace the vacuum problem? How much is it? And how easy or hard is it to install?
The vehicle now has 86000 miles on it,and I have put 5000 miles on it. Before I bought it, it was a airport security vehicle. So I will assume it has rarely if ever seen mud, seeing as everything else works great. I have seen other post like this, but I just wanted to put my case out there to clear everything up for me. WHAT DO YOU THINK? I appreciate all and any help. Thanks, Mike

Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Starting Member
blazen99 is on a distinguished road

nice mileage im having trouble with mine too. i heard u can use vicegrips instead of the cable lock but i dunno. mines push button.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Beginning Member

No one can help me?
Really?

Old 05-05-2009, 01:31 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Patience sir, give everyone a few days to read your thread. Judging by the history of your vehicle, I will guess that the 4wd was probably never used. The actuator is probably simply "stuck" or "frozen" due to never being used. Check it to make sure it is receiving vacuum. If so, remove and fix or replace... your favorite auto parts may even have it in stock since it is a fairly common part.
The "kit" that you are referring to can be purchased from several sources... one is LMC Truck, part # 29-5170 but is is not what I consider cheap. lol Here is a link...
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cst.../t.aspx?Page=1

Last edited by bandidolenny; 05-05-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:33 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
The "kit" that you are referring to can be purchased from several sources... one is LMC Truck, part # 29-5170 but is is not what I consider cheap. lol Here is a link...
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cst/search.aspx?searchItem=29-5170&rURL=~/t.aspx?Page=1

Holy Frijoles!, Batman. "Not Cheap" is an understatement.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikes93s10blazer
No one can help me?
Really?
Plenty of information available here for you to help yourself... Your problem is not unique. Far from it. Check out the Tech Article (DIY) section and run some searches and you will find a LOT of information about this issue.

Another member has also been so kind as to make up a DIY posi-lock cable arrangement using quite inexpensive components instead of a purpose built kit.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Beginning Member

I greatly appreciate the help, and sorry for being short. Its just a little frustrating when I have a real problem and everyone wants to help someone that shouldn't even look at a wrench, let alone try to use one.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:37 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Anxious to get that thing "off-road" are you? lol

Old 05-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Beginning Member
Question

Well after reading the tech article I went out and cranked her up put her in 4hi and tried to spin the front driveshaft. It spun. Does this mean my transfer case is trashed or is it because the front won't lock? The article isn't clear on this. I'm assuming that its the T-case at this point.
And yes Lenny, I'm very anxious

Old 05-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Simple question. Is your transfer case actually engaging into 4HI and staying there? If not, then you have something wrong with the shift linkage which is not properly completing the shift. If it is and you can still spin the front driveshaft, then the problem is inside the transfer case.

And as far as helping others who you deem unworthy of help, good luck getting what you need from here on out. Who are you to decide who deserves to get the help and who does not? As pointed out already, there are TONS of threads on this problem. You are just too impatient to wade through them. Good day and good luck.

Quick Reply: 93 S10 blazer 4x4 wont engage