Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

96 chevy 1ton van.intermittent brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 AM
thevair65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 96 chevy 1ton van.intermittent brake problem

its not a blazer but i dont know where else to ask this questions.
just finished a brake overhaul. replaced pads. calipers. and roters.
got it all put back together correctly. now for some odd reason the braks act up on occasion. the peddle pulses violently and the brakes groan.
took it back apart checked my work and everything checks out fine. the weirdest part is that this doesnt happen everytime brake is applied only once and awhile.
ive already had the roters checked and they are fine so thats not the problem.
had a fire in the van recently thanks to a fuel leakthat dripped on theexhaust checked all the brake lines thinking one may have melted but didnt find any.
thanks in advance. sorry if this threadisnt suposed to be here.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:05 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 96 chevy 1ton van.intermittent brake problem

96 1 ton has ABS brakes

Seems like the ABS is faulty. Try pulling the ABS codes and if can not do that, then disconnect the ABS (via remove the ABS fuse) and see if it still happens. Only other thought is that if you did not Power Bleed the brakes then you still might have air in the line. What happens if you do a quick brake in reverse at about 10 to 20 mph? (Lockup, slight skid, jerky stop)

Old 02-21-2007, 02:30 AM

nothing happens thats odd in reverse.
when it does this its very jerky and took like 15-20 feet to stop at roughly 10-20 mph with the pedal all the way to the floor.
have bled the brakes and the pedal is nice and stiff did this while the van was running. when the brakes do work they work great.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:40 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you checked the wiring for the ABS. There is an [E]lectronic [B]rake [M]otor [C]ontroller which requires certain voltages to function properly. There were TSB's on these parts after the vans hit the market where the EBCM was not functioning properly depending on your van's history the fire may have melted a wire or two related to the EBCM and that might be the cause of the problem....

Old 02-21-2007, 05:52 AM

the fire ruined alot of things. melted the EGR tube and 5 of the 8 wires as well as an intake hose but that tough sob van still ran even on3 cylinders.
as far as the electronics go i looked them over and havnt found any damaged wires. im thinking something is wrong with the master cylinder perhaps an air bubble is restricting the flow of dot3. i was told that air in the calaper is far differant then air in the master cylinder. of course air in the calaper makes the peddle soft. i hear that air in the master cylinder does the exact opposite and makes the peddle very stiff. in my past brake jobs ive never bleed the master cylinder but ill do it this time. and if what ive heard is correct then hopefully this will fix the problem. i realy appreciate all the help and advice and in such a timely manner. this is the best forum ive been on yet

Old 02-21-2007, 10:00 PM

ok i figured it out. the speed ring(exciter ring)broke off the new roters and was messing with the ABS i narrowed it donw useing what i was told by MNHawk and removed the abs fuse to narrow it down the anti lock system and not my work.
thanks for the help everyone.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:28 AM

sometimes its the easiest thing that causes such a big issue.
This is why Do it yourself is much better then taking to a shop.
Glad I could help out.
Enjoy your Basketcase on wheels

Old 02-22-2007, 10:42 AM

lol basketcase on wheels. when its not catching on fire its just not stopping or some stupid little sensor is breaking. i realy hate that van. worst part is it only have 60K on a crate motor and a new trans at 30K

Old 02-23-2007, 01:55 AM

I use to have a Harley that was the same way. New motor, trany, ect.. It nickled and dimed me to towards the grave. But then again it was a Harley. LOL

Old 02-23-2007, 02:10 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: MNHawk

I use to have a Harley that was the same way. New motor, trany, ect.. It nickled and dimed me to towards the grave. But then again it was a Harley. LOL

Nickeled and dimed? Buddy, HD stands for hundreds of dollars. I never walked out of a Harley store without spending hundreds of dollars...lol

Glad you guys figured out the brake issue

Quick Reply: 96 chevy 1ton van.intermittent brake problem