Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

'99 S10 :: Replace Rear Caliper/Brakes; Now Have Loud Clunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 04:37 PM
aphexmandelbrot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default '99 S10 :: Replace Rear Caliper/Brakes; Now Have Loud Clunking Noise

My left rear passenger caliper was leaking brake fluid -- so we replaced the caliper and put new pads on in the process.

(unrelated)
A few hours before doing this, it became obvious that both front bearings were shot -- so we spent the next three weeks replacing those. Yes. It took three weeks to remove one. Broke four pullers and a 7 ton gear puller in the process. With a propane torch. And super-duper penetrating spray. And a five pound hammer. And cold chisels. Three weeks. 3-5 hours every day. The amount of rust was absurd.
(/unrelated)

When we finished the front hub we took the Blazer out for a quick test drive to make sure everything was in good shape.

In drive and reverse, there is a constant ping/clunk noise that is coming from the back tire that we put the caliper/brakes on. The noise picks up in frequency when you accelerate and sounds like the hub hitting ... something. I'm not sure what is being hit -- but part of the noise sounds like the hub. I could be way off on that; but it's a very distinct and loud thud.

The idea we have currently is:
Maybe the bearings in the back are bad, as well -- and with the previous caliper / worn brakes, there was enough room for the small amount of play to not be an issue; but with full brakes and a new caliper there is no room and it is hitting ... something. I would really like this to not be the issue -- but we're kind of at a loss for what else it could be.

If anybody has any idea on this, I'd be greatly appreciative. I've been without a car for three weeks (FT college; FT work; bumming rides from people that I'm going to owe for years to come after I'm done repaying a Life-Debt to dad for the bearings) and last night was the most excited I've been this year. If it's the back bearings, it's going to the shop Monday -- but if anyone has any suggestions for troubleshooting and locating other potential causes, that would be wonderful and I will owe you an alcoholic beverage of your choice in the event you ever enter East TN.

Last edited by aphexmandelbrot; 03-06-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you replaced the pads and possibly the little sheet metal wear clips on the caliper brackets? I had these sheetmetal clips touch the rotor after I did a brake change on my old 2k Bravada. A little prying with a screw driver and all was well.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:47 PM
aphexmandelbrot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Did you replaced the pads and possibly the little sheet metal wear clips on the caliper brackets? I had these sheetmetal clips touch the rotor after I did a brake change on my old 2k Bravada. A little prying with a screw driver and all was well.
Yup. That doesn't seem to be a problem. Replaced the clips with new ones.

From the chat I'm having with dad, "with the bearings not holding the axle in a stationary place, the rotor is moving all around and hitting the disk pads and probably the caliper housing". So that may very well be the issue and the sound.

He took a video of the axle ::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQmrgjR-f7g

Also, sorry for the double post -- I wasn't sure which subforum would have the possibility for more views / potential solutions so I went with the nuclear option.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that is definitely a possibility with the play you have in your bearings. There shouldn't be anywhere near that much play in the bearing.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:18 PM
s10 2.2much is an unknown quantity at this point

your seal actually looks as if the axle has rubbed it and worn it a bit id say you need bearings ...which are cheap lol