Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Add a leaf+2" shackles

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 05:52 PM
Beginning Member
Mspeedfreak03 is on a distinguished road
Default Add a leaf+2" shackles

im just curious as to if anyone has done both at once, what kind of lift it provides, and or what other mods it needs to level the front end out?

Old 06-24-2018, 06:24 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

You can do that but theres nothing you can do with out buying a lift kits
The suspension angles will be off so bad you`ll be changing it every 6 months

Old 06-24-2018, 07:25 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by newguy
You can do that but theres nothing you can do with out buying a lift kits
The suspension angles will be off so bad you`ll be changing it every 6 months
are you talking like getting an alignment every 6 months, if you use a add a leaf and shackles im thinking you get about 3.5" total rear lift, and front torsion key lift like 2.5" so it wont be lvl completely but pretty close

Old 06-24-2018, 07:38 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

If you do a torsion bar lift without the rough country upper control arms and a differential drop bracket, you will be replacing cv axles and ball joints frequently. Every 6 months is a conservative estimate...if you drive it hard it will be much more often.

You would be around 3-3.5" lift in the back

If you don't spend the money up front and buy the kit that comes with the parts i mentioned, you can bet that by 6 months from now you'll have spent the money in replacement parts anyway...and again 6 or less months after that.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:49 PM
Beginning Member

ok thanks for the info, i had a feeling that was the answer but just had to ask

Old 06-25-2018, 10:17 AM
KnightBlazer is on a distinguished road

I've read the rough country kit is a bitch to install also, with having to drop the front diff. . . .although it would be nice to have.

I threw on a set of Pro-Comp add-a-leaf and got about 1" raised height in the rear, but for the most part it just fixed the sagging rear end. . . Pretty much leveled it back up with the stock front. Going to crank t-bars a bit after I finish lower CA bushings, and ball joints.

I know not exactly what you asked, but good way to get a bit of lift without stressing out the rest of the suspension and steering. . . just my $.02.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:42 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

When you crank the tbar you mess with the alignment. You'll need to get an alignment

Old 06-25-2018, 04:15 PM
KnightBlazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by newguy
When you crank the tbar you mess with the alignment. You'll need to get an alignment

Definitely. . lol sorry, Alignment was implied. I'm just finishing up replacing the entire front suspension/steering, so once I'm done going to adjust to where I want, then take it in to the shop.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I got the 2.5 rough country lift all the way around, and added a leaf in the rear. My *** end sits about 2"-3" higherthen the front, it's been throwing off my gas gauge like crazy because of the slant.ill be reinstalling a set of stock shackles on the rear to level it back out.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:36 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chevyriders
If you do a torsion bar lift without the rough country upper control arms and a differential drop bracket, you will be replacing cv axles and ball joints frequently. Every 6 months is a conservative estimate...if you drive it hard it will be much more often.

You would be around 3-3.5" lift in the back

If you don't spend the money up front and buy the kit that comes with the parts i mentioned, you can bet that by 6 months from now you'll have spent the money in replacement parts anyway...and again 6 or less months after that.
I did a bit of a mild version of the RC lift by only using their upper control arms and installing shackles for 2" instead of the RC 2.5" lift. I tweaked the torsion bars and put on 30" instead of 31" tires.

This was 20 months ago with no apparent issues. Then again I'm not aggressive when I'm off pavement. The alignment was on the edge of what could be done and still be within spec. I did have one CV boot slip off on one of the inner joints but I was able to get it back on and secured with a hose clamp. It has stayed there for over a year now although I do routinely check it.

Quick Reply: Add a leaf+2" shackles