Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Another 4X4 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:44 AM
weaves is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another 4X4 Problem

2001 GMC JIMMY 4X4 4Dr.

So got the truck 2 weeks ago, 4x4 worked great.I go offroading yesterday and now it doesnt work.

The "4X4" lights says its in 2HI but its def in 4HI. When crusing and in "drive" i try to press 4hi no lights no clicking whats so ever. But if im in neutral and press 4HI both the 4hi and 4low blink like 5 times and you can hear theclick from the passenger side dash,then the 2 hi comes on solid. (but its still in 4wd)

If i press 4Lo the light comes on(so i guess thats working), if i then try to go to 4hi from thereit will just put 2hi light on. (butstill in 4wd)

Fuse is not blown on drivers side kick panel...

no codes are being thrown...

Any ideas...???

Old 11-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Another 4X4 Problem

Do you have a 4 button 4wd switch with Auto4wd option or a 3 button switch?

Just an FYI, without a full function scan tool (tech2 or equivalent), you will never see any codes associated with the 4wd system using a scan tool. But if you have the 3 button switch, then you can manually check the codes.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:19 PM

hmm yeah i just used one of those cheap scanners you get from canadiantire. So that's prob why i didnt get anywhere....

I have the three button, just 2hi 4hi and 4lo,NO 4wdauto

How would i go about checking codes for the 4wd system manually... link me?

EDIT: When i press 4lo in neutral you hear the tranny (or what ever) engage but no lights show up on any of the buttons...

Also by playing around with the buttons im pretty sure its back in 2Hi... Everything else is still teh same...

I'm working midnights this weekend so im going to research that common problem with the solenoid or something that fails on the transfer case, forget what its called...there was a really good thread here with diagrams and all about fixing it....

Thanks,

Derek.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the DIY section... or CLICK HERE

Old 11-16-2008, 08:52 PM

Update: seems to be fixed...

So i took the battery tray off, rubber thing was good.

Checked pin 13 by grounding it, all 3 buttonslit up, so no codes.

Started to get frustrated at this point.

I remember reading another thread, how you can remove the 4x4 fuse for 3 mins, and then turn the ignition on/off 5 times.

Did that and now everything works, funny thing is though i did this two days ago with no luck. must of done something wrong hahaha.

Anyways i still dont understand why this all happened? Any clue?

-Derek.