Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Axle Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 12:10 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Breaking the C-Clip will allow the axle shaft to come out of the housing so yeah that would be bad.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Starting Member
yarinzim is on a distinguished road

ok so i guess that if the shaft will brake in the middle it'll also come right off?
isn't that crazy?
if this will happen while off-roading the consequences could be devastating.
isn't there anyway to prevent a situation like this?

Old 09-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Starting Member

anyone?

Old 09-14-2009, 02:08 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

There is a "c-clip eliminator kit" that is well known to everyone running GM rearends in the drag racing world.
Another option for you is to source a "heavy duty" half ton 14 bolt rear axle... these came in some extended cab Z71's and 454SS pickups. You would then have to re-gear it to match the front and use a special u-joint but it will bolt right in.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Beginning Member
mod8521 is on a distinguished road

Axles "walking" out is bad but unless you are beating the crap out of your truck should not break a axle. I think jegs has a set of moser axles for the 10 bolt. It took me totalling to 2 trucks to learn that rump and pray is not always a good plan

Old 09-20-2009, 09:25 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

What about a full floating axle?

Old 09-22-2009, 10:29 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by yarinzim
..........and another thing - when removed the shaft to count the splines (28) - i realized that if the c clip will brake for any reason than nothing is holding the shaft, am i right? i i brake the shaft or the c clip off-roading the wheel will come right off??
that is correct. welcome to the wonderful world of wandering axles! there is a C-clip eliminator kit out there (for 10 bolt and 12 bolt axles), but i'm not sure if i've ever seen anyone use this on an off-road application (it usually used by guys/gals running/beating their rides @ the track.
i'm not saying it can't/wouldn't work for off-roading, but again (like it was already said here) it all depends on how hard you beat on your s**t.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:08 AM
Starting Member

ok guys.. after a month or so of research, i came to a decision and i want to run it through you.
as you remember i'm riding a k5 1990 with a gm 8.5" 10 bolt on 33" tires.
and recently i broke most of the differential components.
now - i'm unable right now to change the axle so i had to come to a solution for the 10 bolt. so i decided to get a Detroit locker.
now i know this axle is weak and all and some guy told me that if i'll put on a locker on this axle, the shafts will tear up constantly, even on road.
am i really doing the wrong thing by getting this locker to this axle?

Old 10-06-2009, 05:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I do not know if I would recommend a full locker in a 10bolt. Its more expensive, but a selectable locker would be better off. That way when you are driving on the road, you can just unlock it, but when you need traction, you can flip a switch and lock it up.

You may just want to get a larger rear end. You should be able to find a 12-bolt out of an older K5 or truck or even a 14-bolt full floater.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Starting Member

well.. I'm from Israel and it's a bit difficult for me to find those axles here.
they're not very popular around here. plus I'm sure i won't be able to find one with 6 lugs. which is what i got on my wheels. and the option of changing to 8 lugs is to expensive for me.
so I'll rephrase my question...
if i put the detroit locker on the 10 bolt - will it make the axle stronger or weaker? and if it will make the axle weaker, where exactly?
and another thing - I'd be thankful if you'll be more specific with the NO recommendation

Quick Reply: Axle Opinion