Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Axle Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 10:20 AM
Beginning Member
Zach Downs is on a distinguished road
Default Axle Upgrade

I keep seeing where lots of people have issues with wheel bearings failing CV axles failing and all for going as simply as having 32 inch tires. Was wondering if anybody has ever done a GM 9.25 IFS front axle swap or has any idea if it is even possible. This would be going on a 98 four-door Blazer. Of course you would upgrade the rear end with when you do the front as well for that I was thinking just a 14-bolt would do all right. And before anybody asks I know it would be a lot of fabrication.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

I will start this with assuming you are looking to put 32" tires on your blazer and will respond as such. To simply answer your question sure it could be done anything is possible with the proper amount of fabrication and skill. IMO you would be worlds ahead just doing a solid axle swap. You would have to swap way more than just the diff to accomplish what you are thinking of including spindles, wheel bearings probably suspension components and frame modifications to get the larger diff to fit and then you would likely need to have custom length axles built to fit between the diff and spindles because I seriously doubt you will find a factory spec option that would be the correct length for both sides. After you have done all that you would still end up with a fairly weak front drivetrain. Going solid axle has been done and documented hundreds of times all over the forums including by myself and most all of the options and issues are out there to be found rather easy. Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of innovation and going the path less travelled but I think in this situation that would be the path that is way harder than anticipated and when you get to the end the view you were hoping for would be blocked by overgrown trees and shrubs!

As for the 14bolt anything less than a 37" tire is way to small and you will end up with your diff sitting a matter of a couple inches off the ground just because of the shear size of the 14bolt pumpkin. They are huge and heavy and total overkill for such a small tire. For what you are talking about a D44 plenty sufficient or ford 8.8 out of an explorer would be even better and has been a popular option due to being the correct width and an all around stronger axle than what comes stock in the blazers.

This is one of my all time favorite SFA blazer builds and was built and documented really well and has had a LOT of miles put on it since completion proving that it can be done to look basically factory and without looking huge and crazy all while being reliable and safe. https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...s-73479/page2/

Old 05-13-2020, 02:11 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

No sense in spending more time, money and effort for an inferior product. And you always want to use off-the-shelf parts when it comes to things like axle shafts that commonly break.