Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:53 AM
guywm25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ball Joints

Driving home from work it felt like I had a flat tire, which it is not, I am figuring it is the ball joints, my question is, does anyone have any shortcuts or tips to fixing the upper and lower ball joints on a 98 blazer 4wd. Thanks for the suggestions I don't want to pay $400 to fix one side.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:03 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Ball Joints

thu upper balljoints are fairly easy although u should go pick up a pickle-fork seperator if u dont allready have one. the lower ones are alittle more complicated and require some dissassembly of the front end, so u may also benefit from a haynes or chilton manuels to guide u through the process, plus u have to drill out the rivots but the new joints will come with replacement hardware. good luck

Old 01-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don't you go to a front end shop and have them check? It's a LOT of work to replace ball joints just because you **think** they might be bad. Confirm the actual problem first!

Of course, ball joints are a common problem in these, so you may be right.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:53 AM

Before posting my question, I did shake the passenger tire and two to three inches of play in the upper portion of the the wheel was enough convincing for me, I plan on replacing both the upper and lower ball joints this weekend. as far as driving to the local front end shop, I personally do not recommend it, since the drivers side went on my wife a few months back, there was no warning, luckily she was only going about 15mph at the time, the wheel went 180 degrees on her. I am just looking for a few helpful hints or suggestions from Blazer Nation.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:37 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have that much play when you do an up and down wiggle I would be looking at the wheel bearing. Its rare for ball joints to give that much play. Try jacking it up and try the up to down and the side to side. If you get a wobble all the way then I would be doing wheel bearings.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:40 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

When you jack it up have a second person move the wheel and then check the locations of the ball joints for movement...that is how i found my lowers were bad...to work on the lowers you will need a 36mm socket for the CV Shaft bolt so you can move it out of the way. It has to come apart or you can't get the lower ball joint out...

Old 01-04-2007, 10:13 PM
frankjc is an unknown quantity at this point

Jack it up, and put a prybar under the wheel and lift up to check for play.
I found it pretty easy to change the ball joints on mine. Just take your time.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 AM

I did replace the hub assembly on that side less than a year ago, if I had not I would assume that it was the culprit. but a good suggetion. thanks

Old 01-05-2007, 05:38 PM
frankjc is an unknown quantity at this point

Once you get the hub off you are half way there.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:16 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with having a second person wobble the tire while you look for hte worn out part.
To replace the ball joints I think it is easier to remove the cv axle and the hub assemble. Drill out the rivets. When you do the pickle fork, strike the side of the steering knuckle with a hammer. The shock vibration is typically enough to pop the ball joints out with a little presure on the pickle fork. Beating on the pickle fork can be brutal.

As for the longevity of ball joints. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones. I have 130,000 miles on the originals and no signs of problems, even though I wheel this truck. Then again I keep them greased.

Quick Reply: Ball Joints