Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Bearing or Differencel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Beginning Member
eng63 is on a distinguished road
Default Bearing or Differencel Problem

Hi all new to the forum, I have a 2000 S-10 and I get a thumping sound from my rear axle, I put it up on blocks to figure out wear the sound was coming from, Hand rotated the wheels and it seems to be the right side and no thump come from the left, I had replace u-Joint so I'm sure that isnt it, But this is my first 4X4 and I'm not sure what to look for next or what it maybe, if its a bearing or something else I cant find much info on the net that even seems close, any help or juggestion welcome, The how to is even better if possible as I cant afford to take it to a shop for repairs.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When does this sound occur? Does it get worse when you are turning in a particular direction? What speed are you going when you hear it the loudest?

With the back end off the ground, can you feel up/down play at the rear wheels? How about up/down play in the pinion (what the driveshaft connects to)?

Old 12-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Beginning Member

Just a little more info to add, while driving there was a ticking sound then it Thumped and jumped as if I hit a speed bump a few yard from home have moved it since other then to check out what I've said in my last post. Hope the details are go enough to be of help to help get to the root of this.

its exstream if I move at slow speed, turning the wheel by hand its a mild thump like sound and cant hardly feel it by hand.

I hand turned the axles with the drive shatt disconnected so I am sure its in the rear somewhere

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-01-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to pull the cover and have a look inside. Something that feels like you hit a speed bump likely is damage to the ring/pinion.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply, will look come saturday. just hope if there is any damage its bisable, never did a rear vefore, but I've done many things not sure and asked alot of qiestions before trying.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:25 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

You'll probably see scaring on the gear teeth, or it's real bad there will be pieces or chunks of metal in the bottom of the differential case. You'll see it as soon as you take the cover off.

Get a can of brake parts cleaner to break down the gear lube and get a better look at things.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Beginning Member

With all the snow we have had I haven't been able to work on the rear, and I have another question,

Is there any way to made the rear free wheeling just so I can use 4 wheel drive as front wheel drive to move it about 30 miles. as I dont have the fund to replace the Pinion and ring but need to move and have no other way to do so.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Administrator

The problem is going to be the slip yoke up at the back of the transfer case. The lip seal at the back of the TC seals on the outside of the slip yoke. Without the slip yoke there, the transfer case will likely leak.

The pinion will still spin even without the driveshaft and may still do damage..

Old 12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Beginning Member

was a thought, so I'm screwed

my thought was to remaove the ring gear and leave everything else alone so it remains locked in place but no ring to grind as the ring in bolted to a plate

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-09-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Administrator

To remove the ring gear, you must remove the differential center section which requires the axle shafts be pulled out to clear the differential center section. If you have all that out, you might as well replace the bearings in the pinion.

Quick Reply: Bearing or Differencel Problem