Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Blazer crew, I need help. 4x4 problem

Old 02-25-2007, 02:51 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer crew, I need help. 4x4 problem

Well last night on the way home from buddies I decided to punch it on an icey road....little to my knowledge HOW icey it really was

I fish tailed side ways into the next lane(deserted road) and smaked the snow bank really hard and got about half way up it when I turned off and back in my lane.

stupid? incredibly........broke my bumper and its really loose now.

bigger problem came today when I tried to go into 4hi, its was weird like it blinked a few times and then the light was on........but no 4 wheel drive!!!!!and it wont let me back into 2hi it blinks and clicks a few times, but thats it.

The light says im in 4hi but on an icey street i can easily tell it isnt.

if just getting it scanned is what I have to do it costs me almost $100 in canada.

I dont think its a fuse cuz the lights still on........actuator....i cant even spell it....heck if i know what it is....how much can I expect to pay for this repair, anyone have a guessstimate? or what to try........

I feel bad for the pain I've put her through []

thx for any help people

Old 02-25-2007, 12:47 PM
BF Veteran
Default RE: Blazer crew, I need help. 4x4 problem

I forgot to mention I DID try to search.....no answers

Old 02-25-2007, 12:52 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

Could be your transfer case switch. Or a relay even.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:15 PM
BF Veteran

is this a common problem? im totally lost here.......are actuators dealer parts only?

how can i narrow it down? whats a t-case switch? and whats the relay for? sorry......im not too technically inclined with this stuff.

I should also mention I've hit alot of stuff with this truck this winter.......I might have knocked something loose...or......broke something......

Old 02-25-2007, 03:16 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check all your vacuum lines to see if they are all still connected, depending on how hard you hit and at what angles it is possible that things got banged around. Also check the connectors for the encoder motor on the transfer case (box like object with wires) near the front output shaft. That is also where the vacuum switch for the 4x4 acuator (3 vacum lines attached). There is depending on model year a vacuum ball to increase vacuum for 4x4 and with the hard hit may have been cracked...but a vacuum leak might cause a rough idle condition...and you don't mention that. I would also look at the possibility that you have broken something inside the front differential that won't let it engage in 4HI....

Old 02-25-2007, 03:28 PM
BF Veteran

well I'll go and check all the fuses and the vaccum lines if I can find them.........where is the fuse box under the hood?

and those vaccum lines are on the passenger side behind the tire right....?

Old 02-25-2007, 04:33 PM
BF Veteran

alright, so the fuse box under the hood wasent so hard to find. I found 1 blown 10 amp fuse. The location paper thingy didnt say anything that made me think a fuse was for 4x4. I think the 1 that was blown just said 'trr' or something close to that.

So I replaced it with another 10 amp, checked the rest, didnt notice any others blown. Then I popped open the fuse panel in the cab, there was one that said '4x4' but it was good, or seemed to be, i switched 2 10 amps around just to see if it helped, and it didnt.

Now when I push 2hi or 4lo(in neutral) it blinks real quick but stays in 4hi, and the 4hi stays illuminated. I tried 2hi in neutral, nothing....
before it would blink 3 or 4 times and click a few.....now it clicks once.

I also got on my back in about 4" of fresh snow to try and find those vaccum lines but I had no idea what I was looking for.....most of it is coverd by the skid plate. can anyone help me out....a diagram would be great. The only line that stuck out to me was the brake line. I saw an accordian type thing....are they close to that?

Old 02-27-2007, 02:54 AM
BF Veteran

bump

Old 02-27-2007, 05:39 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Do you have access to a heated shop? There could just be a bunch of snow underneath... Try and melt things out, or something....

When you were underneath, did you see a buttload of snow?

Old 02-27-2007, 12:26 PM
BF Veteran

no i didnt see snow.......my dad said the same thing too.......no heated shop

I would like to check those vacuum lines.....but I dont really know what to look for...

and I got an estimate from a body shop for a new front bumper and its over $500 including paint

does anyone know what the actuators and relays are worth? My dad is guessing its electrical......but i dunno...i prolly broke something

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blazer crew, I need help. 4x4 problem