Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/)
-   -   Blazer Newbie question (https://blazerforum.com/forum/steering-suspension-drivetrain-36/blazer-newbie-question-79087/)

Whitefish 05-06-2013 07:34 AM

Blazer Newbie question

Hey fellas. I just inherited my Dad's 1995 Blazer. It is a 2 door 4X4 LS. It has been used pretty roughly, but always taken care of. My Dad passed away a few years back & my stepmom tried to keep up with it, but knows nothing about cars, so it is showing its age a little.

To my question. I know I need new tires (badly!), but I was going to switch out the shocks too. The front ends floats all over the road. Is that a hard job? I have a decent set-up of tools & am somewhat capable of doing mechanical work. I just changed out the rear shocks on my 02 Camaro & it was real easy...are the Blazers just as easy? Just looking for a little input, as I don't want to get in the middle of the job & realize I am in over my head. Thanks.

Kreigeist89 05-06-2013 11:20 AM

Shocks are pretty easy. I would do the sway bar links while you are at it. Same proximity and they are just as easy to replace. I just did my shocks and my sway bar links last week. You will notice a definite change when you change the links. Get a set of Moogs They are awesome.

Whitefish 05-06-2013 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kreigeist89 (Post 582911)
Shocks are pretty easy. I would do the sway bar links while you are at it. Same proximity and they are just as easy to replace. I just did my shocks and my sway bar links last week. You will notice a definite change when you change the links. Get a set of Moogs They are awesome.

Thanks. It definitely needs some help. It is very "floaty". :lol:

Whitefish 05-06-2013 12:13 PM

BTW, the fronts look pretty straight-forward....is that the case? Just jack it up & un-bolt them?

Kaser1026 05-07-2013 08:24 PM

No need to jack up. I didn't when i changed my wifes a week ago. A piece of cake.

Whitefish 05-08-2013 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kaser1026 (Post 583122)
No need to jack up. I didn't when i changed my wifes a week ago. A piece of cake.

You da man, bro!! :icon_worthy: Thanks!!

BTW, anyone know what the donut shaped rubber gasket is that is in the wheel well, right at the front, attached to the frame? My guess is it is a body mount, but mine fell off while I had the blazer on the jack. I want to replace it, but don't know what it is.

El_Beautor 05-08-2013 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Whitefish (Post 583183)
You da man, bro!! :icon_worthy: Thanks!!

BTW, anyone know what the donut shaped rubber gasket is that is in the wheel well, right at the front, attached to the frame? My guess is it is a body mount, but mine fell off while I had the blazer on the jack. I want to replace it, but don't know what it is.

Post up a picture of the part, and the location it came from. We'll be better able to help if we can see exactly what it is.

Whitefish 05-08-2013 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by El_Beautor (Post 583184)
Post up a picture of the part, and the location it came from. We'll be better able to help if we can see exactly what it is.

I meant to do that. Oops. I will do it tonight when I get home.

richphotos 05-08-2013 12:47 PM

I am guessing it is the core support body mount.

Whitefish 05-08-2013 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kreigeist89 (Post 582911)
I would do the sway bar links while you are at it.

Funny you said that, I got under it to take a pic (which I am still trying to figure out how to load off my tablet) of the thing I asked about a few posts ago...well, while under the truck on the driver's side, I noticed the bolt that holds the sway bar links was gone & the sway bar is just hanging there. I am really happy to have inherited my Dad's beloved Blazer, but this front end is a mess! Lookslike sway bar links just went tk the top of the "must-do" list. :)