Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Blazer Newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 AM
Beginning Member
Whitefish is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer Newbie question

Hey fellas. I just inherited my Dad's 1995 Blazer. It is a 2 door 4X4 LS. It has been used pretty roughly, but always taken care of. My Dad passed away a few years back & my stepmom tried to keep up with it, but knows nothing about cars, so it is showing its age a little.

To my question. I know I need new tires (badly!), but I was going to switch out the shocks too. The front ends floats all over the road. Is that a hard job? I have a decent set-up of tools & am somewhat capable of doing mechanical work. I just changed out the rear shocks on my 02 Camaro & it was real easy...are the Blazers just as easy? Just looking for a little input, as I don't want to get in the middle of the job & realize I am in over my head. Thanks.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Kreigeist89 is on a distinguished road

Shocks are pretty easy. I would do the sway bar links while you are at it. Same proximity and they are just as easy to replace. I just did my shocks and my sway bar links last week. You will notice a definite change when you change the links. Get a set of Moogs They are awesome.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Kreigeist89
Shocks are pretty easy. I would do the sway bar links while you are at it. Same proximity and they are just as easy to replace. I just did my shocks and my sway bar links last week. You will notice a definite change when you change the links. Get a set of Moogs They are awesome.
Thanks. It definitely needs some help. It is very "floaty". :lol:

Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Beginning Member

BTW, the fronts look pretty straight-forward....is that the case? Just jack it up & un-bolt them?

Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Beginning Member
Kaser1026 is on a distinguished road

No need to jack up. I didn't when i changed my wifes a week ago. A piece of cake.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Kaser1026
No need to jack up. I didn't when i changed my wifes a week ago. A piece of cake.
You da man, bro!! Thanks!!

BTW, anyone know what the donut shaped rubber gasket is that is in the wheel well, right at the front, attached to the frame? My guess is it is a body mount, but mine fell off while I had the blazer on the jack. I want to replace it, but don't know what it is.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Whitefish
You da man, bro!! Thanks!!

BTW, anyone know what the donut shaped rubber gasket is that is in the wheel well, right at the front, attached to the frame? My guess is it is a body mount, but mine fell off while I had the blazer on the jack. I want to replace it, but don't know what it is.
Post up a picture of the part, and the location it came from. We'll be better able to help if we can see exactly what it is.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Post up a picture of the part, and the location it came from. We'll be better able to help if we can see exactly what it is.
I meant to do that. Oops. I will do it tonight when I get home.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:47 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I am guessing it is the core support body mount.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Kreigeist89
I would do the sway bar links while you are at it.
Funny you said that, I got under it to take a pic (which I am still trying to figure out how to load off my tablet) of the thing I asked about a few posts ago...well, while under the truck on the driver's side, I noticed the bolt that holds the sway bar links was gone & the sway bar is just hanging there. I am really happy to have inherited my Dad's beloved Blazer, but this front end is a mess! Lookslike sway bar links just went tk the top of the "must-do" list.

Quick Reply: Blazer Newbie question