Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Brake fluid loss has me stumped

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 03:31 PM
PipeRain is on a distinguished road
Default Brake fluid loss has me stumped

I'm at a loss here. Yesterday morning went out to start up my 98 LS 4X4 and drive off, but when I tried to shift into Drive, I couldn't move the lever and the brake pedal felt mushy. Remembering the safety lockout, I checked the master cylinder to find it almost empty. This seemed odd because my brakes have always been solid and the MC was full when I checked it, along with the other fluids, after an oil change last weekend. Filled it up and tried again and everything was fine. Brakes were solid and effective. Drove about 175 miles yesterday, freeway and in town, and not a hint of an issue.

Got in it this morning and same problem, couldn't shift out of park and the MC was very low although not as bad as yesterday. Obviously I have a leak somewhere right? Checked all the usual suspects. Calipers, bleeder screws, soft lines from frame to calipers, hard lines everywhere I can find them, checked the MC for leakage, popped the valve off the booster and checked for fluid in there (Twice, once with the crankcase dipstick and once with a white 11" zip tie), checked the gasket between the MC and booster, checked for drainage behind the booster against the firewall, checked inside the passenger compartment all around the firewall grommet, on the carpet and under the carpet and not a sign of a leak anywhere. Most bizarre thing.

So, I topped it off again and took it for a "Stress-test drive". The brakes function perfectly at normal driving speeds around town. Then I got it up to about 40 mph and stood on the brake. The brakes work great, the rig nearly stood up on it's nose, but the ABS never engaged and the rear tires broke loose a bit. As of about a month ago the ABS worked when I had to stomp on the brakes for a cat darting out into the road. (Had the wife not been with me I'd have never known the ABS worked and that cat would have never done that again) Odd thing is, the ABS light on the dash never came on to indicate that anything was amiss, but I know the light is good because it does light up when I start the rig.

The only thing I can think of is that something is wrong with the ABS manifold and may be leaking internally, but I don't know if that's even possible nor do I have no idea what or how to test it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-12-2017, 04:46 PM
ChuckNTruck is on a distinguished road

2 master cyl full of fluid is a lot of fluid to loose.1 location I would check where you might have a leak is on the frame rail behind the left rear tire. I have seen a few blazers leak here including my old 97.

Here is a video that shows where I am talking about.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:06 PM
PipeRain is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I'll toss it up on jackstands, jerk the wheel off and have a look.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:56 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i have seen the backs of the master cylinders blow out too and all the fluid just pools inside the brake booster. i usually just take a long zip tie or something non-metal, pull the vacuum hose out and try to reach the bottom of the booster. if thats empty fill it up and pump the brakes a bunch and see if you can find the leak

Old 04-30-2019, 07:16 PM
Beginning Member
maryoka is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PipeRain
I'm at a loss here. Yesterday morning went out to start up my 98 LS 4X4 and drive off, but when I tried to shift into Drive, I couldn't move the lever and the brake pedal felt mushy. Remembering the safety lockout, I checked the master cylinder to find it almost empty. This seemed odd because my brakes have always been solid and the MC was full when I checked it, along with the other fluids, after an oil change last weekend. Filled it up and tried again and everything was fine. Brakes were solid and effective. Drove about 175 miles yesterday, freeway and in town, and not a hint of an issue.

Got in it this morning and same problem, couldn't shift out of park and the MC was very low although not as bad as yesterday. Obviously I have a leak somewhere right? Checked all the usual suspects. Calipers, bleeder screws, soft lines from frame to calipers, hard lines everywhere I can find them, checked the MC for leakage, popped the valve off the booster and checked for fluid in there (Twice, once with the crankcase dipstick and once with a white 11" zip tie), checked the gasket between the MC and booster, checked for drainage behind the booster against the firewall, checked inside the passenger compartment all around the firewall grommet, on the carpet and under the carpet and not a sign of a leak anywhere. Most bizarre thing.

So, I topped it off again and took it for a "Stress-test drive". The brakes function perfectly at normal driving speeds around town. Then I got it up to about 40 mph and stood on the brake. The brakes work great, the rig nearly stood up on it's nose, but the ABS never engaged and the rear tires broke loose a bit. As of about a month ago the ABS worked when I had to stomp on the brakes for a cat darting out into the road. (Had the wife not been with me I'd have never known the ABS worked and that cat would have never done that again) Odd thing is, the ABS light on the dash never came on to indicate that anything was amiss, but I know the light is good because it does light up when I start the rig.

The only thing I can think of is that something is wrong with the ABS manifold and may be leaking internally, but I don't know if that's even possible nor do I have no idea what or how to test it.

Anyone have any ideas?
Best of luck with your Blazer! I am leaking fluid pedal goes to floor I added fluid twice now to maximum not driving it like this will have to get it towed there. Previous to this was ABS Low speed sensor firing as you slow to under 5 miles per hour. At times seemed worse like something breaking inside. Am sure this will be costly to fix I figure I have 1,000 to go towards repairs maybe more and hope not! Mine is a 2001 Chevy Blazer about 151 600 miles on it bought used about 3 years ago. Put about 1400 into repairs new back end Jeep part used. Radiator is leaking too so need to add antifreeze after longer drives. Only other thing is when you fill up at gas station keeps shutting off a part needs replacement. Probably some tie rod issues too and wheel bearing etc. So much fun having truck problems this is my second Blazer. I had a 1999 4x4 Blazer with 100,000 miles on it should have kept it and got that fixed instead of buying this one!

Old 05-28-2019, 12:04 PM
kempo is on a distinguished road

ran into this problem. brake booster runs under vacum. If booster diaphram is damaged, it can suck leaking master cyl. dry thru the back seal. Brake fluid is then drawn into the motor, leaving you scratching your head and saying things your mother would slap you over, Good Luck