Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Brakes unresponsive

Old 02-03-2019, 09:54 PM
Beginning Member
Red-blazer99 is on a distinguished road
Default Brakes unresponsive

So first they completely stopped working, had to run into a pile of snow to stop. Now they keep feeling weird...kinda like there sticking I guess but it's similar to the feeling I got when it completely stopped working so it majority concerns me. I'm thinking the abs module, maybe a brake line is clogging? I can't think of anything for sure so any input helps thanks.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:06 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I remember your earlier post. Have the brakes been serviced lately? Any unusual wear on them? Are the calipers free to move? Have they been bled? If so how? Apparently the ABS system can be finicky with regard to how they are bled.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:29 AM
Beginning Member

Calipers are brand new a.c. Delco profesional and yea I bled them by myself...they work fine but I can see why that could be the problem. And the pads are low and squeak really loud, they aren't close to bare yet but my next investment is the pads and rotors. Almost feels like the pads are getting jamed or something but I can't see that happening.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:33 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Red-blazer99
Calipers are brand new a.c. Delco profesional and yea I bled them by myself...they work fine but I can see why that could be the problem. And the pads are low and squeak really loud, they aren't close to bare yet but my next investment is the pads and rotors. Almost feels like the pads are getting jamed or something but I can't see that happening.
Just a "off the wall question", are you having any kind of gauge issues on the dash? Gas gauge, temp gauge ect...

Old 02-04-2019, 01:08 PM
Beginning Member

Speedometer goes out sometimes but comes back on immediately and the abs light will go out for a minute then comes back on

Old 02-04-2019, 05:23 PM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Any weird sounds from the front end? Reason I ask I had a rubbing kinda sound from the passenger side front tire. Replaced the Hub which includes a new abs sensor and problem gone...

Old 02-04-2019, 10:04 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

And the pads are low and squeak really loud, they aren't close to bare yet but my next investment is the pads and rotors. Almost feels like the pads are getting jamed or something but I can't see that happening.
Change your front pads out and rotors if needed. If pads are low as you call them and need replaced they maybe hanging up and may even be letting the caliper piston rock.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:15 PM
Beginning Member

I know I need pads and rotors but the pads still have some meat on them so mabye lube the area the pads are held in at?

Old 02-05-2019, 03:03 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Because brakes are obviously so important, it is worth the effort to check that everything is operating properly; e.g. the pins on which the calipers slide are lubricated, the bolts that attach the brake caliper bracket to the steering knuckle, the calipers to the bracket, the rotors are aligned to the wheel and the wheel is aligned to the axle.You can also check if depressing the brake pedal compresses the caliper.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:37 AM
odat is on a distinguished road

I know I need pads and rotors but the pads still have some meat on them so mabye lube the area the pads are held in at?
Ya good luck with that -
Depending on what you call meat left on them,
With the loud squealing you say you have it's a cause for concern.
If pads have the wear warning pegs and they are causing the squealing by contacting the rotors the pads are wore out,
IF pad facing is riveted on usually just somewhere under a 1/4 to 3/16 of a inch the rivets maybe contacting the rotors.
With glue on pads at 3/16 or less if the pads are binding you pose the risk of facing peeling off and becoming metal to metal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes unresponsive