Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Bravada axle swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 06:59 AM
skotti will become famous soon enough

Shows you how long i havent had ifs...lol.

I thought it was both bravada and zr2s had iron.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Irocz327 will become famous soon enough

I just switched a 04 Sonoma diff & tube in my 99 bravada & it's pretty easy just time consuming & it helps if u have an assistant I didn't & took me a couple of hrs to pulls everything out.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Starting Member
tdbone1 is on a distinguished road
Question

i have a 1999 blazer ls 4x4 (3 button) with RPO code GU6 (3.42 gears)

my vacuum actuator being weak (hole somewhere or something) cause the clutch sleeve to not engage the clutch gear correctly overtime (previous owners fault) and anyway i ordered this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-98-99-00-...vip=true&rt=nc

it has a pic of its RPO code and its GU6 which is like mine and it also has a G80 (but i think this just has to do with read diff)

anyhow i dont know much about the item and i hope it will work
i think its just going to come with the axle only and no housing/tube but i hope it does

i have read during my research that some of the cv shafts slide or bolt onto these.

how can i know if this part will work ok with mine?

thanks for any help

Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Beginning Member
Truk is on a distinguished road

I saw your other thread where you were trying to troubleshoot your axle problem. i'm pretty sure the part you ordered is the cv axle and not the part you need inside the housing. If you search for the interchange # on the listing that is what you get.

If I was you I would watch craigslist for someone local parting a s10 or blazer with the same type axles you have (bolt or snap in) or check the JY, and just buy a complete used differential. Check it has 3.42 gears, but most do. I've seen them show up for around $75 to $125.

BTW, the Bravada swap this thread is about replaces the disconnect axle like you have with one that is always connected out of an all wheel drive Bravada. You cap off the vacuum lines and eliminate the whole actuator thing. And the G80 is just the rear axle, so it won't matter for the front.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Truk
I saw your other thread where you were trying to troubleshoot your axle problem. i'm pretty sure the part you ordered is the cv axle and not the part you need inside the housing. If you search for the interchange # on the listing that is what you get.

If I was you I would watch craigslist for someone local parting a s10 or blazer with the same type axles you have (bolt or snap in) or check the JY, and just buy a complete used differential. Check it has 3.42 gears, but most do. I've seen them show up for around $75 to $125.

BTW, the Bravada swap this thread is about replaces the disconnect axle like you have with one that is always connected out of an all wheel drive Bravada. You cap off the vacuum lines and eliminate the whole actuator thing. And the G80 is just the rear axle, so it won't matter for the front.
thanks for your info

i cant believe i bought the wrong axle (its pretty much my fault) and i believe fedex already picked it up so its on its way.y i think i will return to sender and just refund the guy the shipping.

this sucks
i think i want the bravada setup and get rid of the vacuum stuff
the coupler looks like its a weak link in the system and it barely grabs both the drive gear and cv gear
it dont look like it grabs it good

when you say "bolt or snap-in" im really not sure which part this is

is this the 1/2 axle that goes to the diff (6 bolts) or is it the other side of that 1/2 axle that goes to the cv joint?

Last edited by tdbone1; 11-16-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Beginning Member

Somewhere around 99 or 00 they changed the axles. The older ones had the flange on the differential side and bolted on. The 6 bolts you mentioned. The newer ones slide in and snap without bolts. This is on the diff side, the wheel sides are the same. Both of my Blazers are 01s, so I've only really dealt with the snap in ones.

BTW, do you have the 3 button or 4 button 4wd? I saw some discussion that you should not do the Bravada swap if you have the 4 button. I guess the autotrac transfer case still spins the front drive shaft in 2hi and the axle has to disconnect.

Last edited by Truk; 11-16-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Starting Member

Somewhere around 99 or 00 they changed the axles. The older ones had the flange on the differential side and bolted on. The 6 bolts you mentioned. The newer ones slide in and snap without bolts. This is on the diff side, the wheel sides are the same. Both of my Blazers are 01s, so I've only really dealt with the snap in ones.

BTW, do you have the 3 button or 4 button 4wd? I saw some discussion that you should not do the Bravada swap if you have the 4 button. I guess the autotrac transfer case still spins the front drive shaft in 2hi and the axle has to disconnect.
mine is a 3 button (so at least that is good)

i still having a hard time understanding the difference between bolt on and snap-in

the axle housing is what bolts onto the diff isnt it?
both the 1/2 shafts and single shafts still have to go through the housing that gets bolted to the diff dont it?

Old 11-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Beginning Member

Hope this works. Your CVs should look like this.

mine looks like this.

The newer CV doesn't have the flange. It slides into and snaps. So if you were to buy a complete diff or a Bravada tube and shaft you need one that is compatible with the cv axles you have.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Starting Member

Hope this works. Your CVs should look like this.

mine looks like this.

The newer CV doesn't have the flange. It slides into and snaps. So if you were to buy a complete diff or a Bravada tube and shaft you need one that is compatible with the cv axles you have.
i just went out and tried to look at mine again and i also took a picture but from what i can see (its pretty dark and truck is on the ground) it looks like i have the newer style

Name:  IkTEI.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  124.4 KB

so what does this mean when i goto ask for a part?

Old 11-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Beginning Member

If yours is a 99 the change must have happened before that, so you should be able to use parts off of any 2000 or newer for sure. The change might not have happened at the model change, so if they changed in 99 early 99s might still have the older style.

Quick Reply: Bravada axle swap