Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Broken Drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:32 PM
MacArthur is on a distinguished road
Default Broken Drive shaft

So I just bought a 4" ift for my 89 Chevy Blazer. Had it on for about a month just sitting in my driveway because i've been on deployment. Got back and had brand new rims and 35" 12.50 General Grabbers put on. I had driven it about 200 miles on and off on leave. Even took it on the highway for a good hour, no problem. Then I freakin drive from Illinois to North Carolina and I just pass through the first toll on the west virginia turn pike and here some grinding and a nice crunch. I pull over and put in in park, doesnt work. Long stroy short the drive shaft snapped and the tow truck driver said that the people who put the lift on didnt angle where the drive shaft connects to the rear axle, up enough so they were matching. pluss the transfer case itself broke. So my question is, I get it fixed and everything is lined up down there, what else can expect to go wrong? I've been reading plenty of forums from every site imaginable and there has been so many people posting that there driveshaft is at a ridiculous anlge and they take it mudding all the time and have no problem.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:24 PM
blueblazer1982 is on a distinguished road

you need to get your pinion angles right

was your transfer case dropped? as far as spacers?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:31 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

thats weird usually when you buy a lift the springs or blocks come shimmed to correct pinion angles. ive had all sorts of different trucks over the years and never had this happen. funny thing is the only time i ever broke a u joint was in a stock 83 s10 just cruising going 35mph then bam.

it might have just been one of those weird things. the truck is 20 years old

Old 11-23-2010, 08:15 PM

Well the kit's blocks for the rear axle did have an angle, however; it was so small that it was like it wasnt there. They said that all they had to do was put more angled blocks and line it all up. The transfer case has not been remounted in anyway. It's still in stock positon.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:03 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

for a 4inch lift its kinda debatable if you need to drop the transfercase down. i always did on my 6inch lifts but had a 84 k5 blazer with a 4inch lift and my current k30 with a 3inch lift both dont have the transfercase lowered and its fine.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Yeah, I've been readin tons of posts and forums about drive shafts breaking and most of them had a specific reason like mine. The hog head just wasn't angled or something like that. So hopefully once it's angled right its good to go. I have read about a guy with a 6" lift on his blazer and that was it and he said he had it for years, taken it through the mud and everything with no problems. How easy is it to lower a transfer case anyway?