Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Is this broken part a bump stop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009 | 12:21 PM
geo
|
Beginning Member
geo is on a distinguished road
Default Is this broken part a bump stop?

When I pass bumps, there is a noise from the front wheels.

I have a E-copy of shop repair manual but I just couldn't find how to replace it.

Attached Thumbnails Is this broken part a bump stop?-100_0047.jpg  
Old 11-22-2009 | 12:29 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

This WAS a bump stop. there is a ring at the top that hope the rubber stop in. along the ring are little tabs bent in like tteth to bite the stop. pry them back and the old one drops out (with a tug). yours looks like it has detents 9crimps) instead of tabs, but same idea. there should also be a littlenut on top that you can remove to drop the whole thing off.

Old 11-22-2009 | 12:43 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

mine looks the same way! and my front was noisy too when ever id go over bumps. found out the front torsion bars were a bit saggy and werent holding up the front as they should. and the truck was bottoming out over bumps. so i did a torsion bar crank. i did 2 full turns and it lifted the nose appx 1/2 to 3/4 inch. now its better over the bumps. the only thing is my shocks are worn out and not working. i have to replace them now....

Old 11-22-2009 | 01:00 PM
BF Veteran

^^^ it begins! every part you replace from here on out will cause 2 other parts to resent you..... hope you have deep pockets

Old 11-22-2009 | 01:56 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

It never ends! It's an evil GM plot to drain your wallet of any and all money.

My Conquest was the same way. You fix one thing 3 others get mad and fail.

Old 11-28-2009 | 10:54 AM
geo
|
Beginning Member
geo is on a distinguished road

ABN31B:

Mine was exactly like you mentioned. little tabs bent like teeth.

But I could not find the same type of bump stop at Advance Auto Part or the dealer. The dealer told me that the design had changed and they sold me another type of bump stop (please see the pic). Do you have any idea where I can find the old rubber ball style? I think the old style is very easy to change - just insert the ball in and let the teeth hold it.

With the new style. I have to remove the nut like you mentioned from the top. But the nut is hard to reach (no room for socket). I just cannot imagine how I would remove the nut without take the truck part.

Thanks

Originally Posted by ABN31B
This WAS a bump stop. there is a ring at the top that hope the rubber stop in. along the ring are little tabs bent in like tteth to bite the stop. pry them back and the old one drops out (with a tug). yours looks like it has detents 9crimps) instead of tabs, but same idea. there should also be a littlenut on top that you can remove to drop the whole thing off.

Attached Thumbnails Is this broken part a bump stop?-image_004.jpg   Is this broken part a bump stop?-image_006.jpg  
Old 11-28-2009 | 12:11 PM
BF Veteran

well, i don't know what year truck you are, so im gonna guess you're a 98....
here are some bumpstops.
wrong year? use the sight to hunt around for your year. click on the "more info" of one of the products to see the OEM part number. you can also google around by that. hope that helps

Old 11-28-2009 | 02:05 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I just replaced mine and to get at the nut I used a gear wrench and put a second jack under the wheel to raise the upper control arm to make room for the wrench. I believe the wrench size is a 14mm. I used a fixed head gear wrench vice a flex head. This was a very easy replacement. No need to take of the wheel just jack up the car enough to get a jack under the tire. Jack the tire until you have room for the wrench.

Old 11-29-2009 | 03:05 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone bought this bump stop DORMAN Part # 31064 {HELP! - Carded #15956547 thats pictured below? if so, is the white rubbder part soft or hard? can you squeeze it?

[/quote]

Old 11-29-2009 | 05:10 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I bought mine from the local chevy dealership.

Quick Reply: Is this broken part a bump stop?