Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

can i install zr2 control arms on a regular 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Jawsgt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can i install zr2 control arms on a regular 4x4?

i know there longer control arms than my stock ones, and because so when lifted creates less stress on the ball joints and so on correct? if it is possible the front will be wider than the rear, im not a big fan of spacers but if thats me only choice than so be it
*COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS*
also is the upper a-arm different than my stock 1? when i look at the parts they only have upper control arms then high rise wide lower and regular lower a-arm

Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Default RE: can i install zr2 control arms on a regular 4x4?

also is the upper a-arm different than my stock 1? when i look at the parts they only have upper control arms then high rise wide lower and regular lower a-arm

Old 02-27-2009, 10:38 AM
RWRIGHT is an unknown quantity at this point

lift creates MORE stress on the ball joints...and i doubt that you could put them amr son a regular blazer because the zr-2's have a stock lift on them the front of you blazer would probably sit 2-3 inches higher than the rear...if so then you could buy blocks to put between your axles and springs

Old 02-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

"if so then you could buy blocks to put between your axles and springs"
You cannot use blocks on a Blazer to lift the reardue to the fact that they are axle over leaf. If you were to use a block it would lower your rear rather than lift it.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:10 PM

so can i use zr2 control arms? im not worried about the rear becuz theres other ways to lift it. i plan on lifting my blazer with the least amount of stress on the front end, i want it to be relieable. thats y i was wondering if the zr2 control arms would work becuz there made for the lift

Old 02-27-2009, 03:17 PM
RWRIGHT is an unknown quantity at this point

to what cookbrady said...i have a 95 blazer and my leafs are on top of my axle so if i put a 2' block in then it would raise my rear end 2' inches...

Old 02-27-2009, 03:42 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

As for the OP question, yes you should be able to use ZR2 control arms on a non-zr2. From everything I can find, there is no distinction in parts for ZR2 vs non-Z control arms. I could be wrong, as I am just going off memory and what pulls up online for parts...so you might wanna wait till someone else can confirm.

BUT...ZR2 arms or not...theyre not really going to give you anything the non-z arms would. ZR2s do not simply have a lift kit put in...its an entirely different frame and suspension setup.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:43 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: RWRIGHT

to what cookbrady said...i have a 95 blazer and my leafs are on top of my axle so if i put a 2' block in then it would raise my rear end 2' inches...
Your 95 blazer did not come stock with your leaf springs on top of your axle...so thats kind of a moot point as far as the OP is concerned. And are you asking if the 2' block would raise you 2' or are you just stating that it would..?

Edit: From your pic here...Your springs are below your axle. Or..you have so much leaf sag...theyre cupping around the axle...

Old 02-27-2009, 05:04 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

i would think the z arms would be longer. If they are longer and they do fit it would help with angles but you would also need longer axle shafts

Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 PM

thanx nvanzee, thats wut i was thinking. i kno there longer by i think 1.5' per side it should help with angles meaning less stress on ball joints and etc...i think this is 1 of the reasons gm made them longer in the first place. ide just like to know if they'd fit

Quick Reply: can i install zr2 control arms on a regular 4x4?