Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Carbon Ceramic brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 06:45 AM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carbon Ceramic brake pads

Does anyone have any experience with these? I was looking through the Jeggs catalog and there not to much more than regular ones. I know the new LP640 has carbon ceramic brakes and Ive heard good things about them. I was just considering them. Anyone have experence with them on anything?

Old 02-16-2007, 12:15 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Carbon Ceramic brake pads

Doing any racing?

Old 02-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

I put NAPA United ceramic pads all the way around on mine, and I love them! The pedal feels better, and the stopping distance has never been better!! I also put the liftime rotors on, so even if I replace my brakes every year my cost is $0.00. And that is American money!!!! Plus my wheels stay nice and clean!! Korey.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:15 AM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: 4lowlife

Doing any racing?
Yea I think I might try out the Blazer on some Auto crosses this summer maybe some open road racing. lol

I checked in the Jeggs again I guess there just Ceramic pads, not Carbon Ceramic(if theres a difference). Ill probaly go with them when I replace my pads, possibly some drilled or slotted rotors too. Depends on how much I want to spend.

I want better brakes because I might be upgradeing to some bigger wheels and since most people say you should upgrade your brakes too, thats why I was thinking this. And I like to be able to stop when I press the pedal.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:26 AM

Rolex @ Daytona!!!

Bigger calipers to right? Glad to read you're one of the few who want to stop!

Old 02-17-2007, 03:40 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

l thought I read that Swartlkk put the ceramics in his truck and I believe he was pleased with them, as well as the fact that the wheels stayed cleaner.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have ceramics on my Bonneville. I haven't put them on the Bravada yet. That'll be this spring for the fronts.

As far as ceramics & carbon ceramics go, you won't find carbon ceramics for most vehicles. I doubt you'd find them for an s-series vehicle period. Ceramics and slotted rotors are going to net you the best brake performance possible. Don't go the drilled route because 95% of all drilled rotors are drilled and not cast in holes. With drilled holes, there are stress concentrations and they will crack. Not something you want to have happen.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

I am thinking of adding braided flex lines also, it seems to me that since I put on the complete brake job with ceramic pads, my pedal effort has been less with less travel for my Blazer to stop fast!!! And I think that the braided lines will help that even more, because the rubber lines allow some expansion, where the braided lines will not allow the expansion, in turn reducing the pedal effort more. My boss was not a ceramic believer, until his '03 2500HD Duramax needed all 4 brakes and I told him how much I loved mine. He then did a 4 wheel brake job using the ceramics, and he said that his truck has never stopped better. He uses the truck for plowing, towing a 4 place snowmobile trailer, and a 31' travel trailer. Now he is a beliver also. So I would say that there really is no better chioce for brake pads than ceramics. And yes again, your wheels WILL stay cleaner. Korey.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:54 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

BLK85,

When you put larger diameter wheels on a stock brake system you will loose braking distance since the stock rotor was only designed to handle the braking torque of the stock wheels...even though you may keep the stock diameter the extra size of the metal rims adds more torque to the brake system because of added weight...

You need to increase the size of your rotors and the amount of clamping force applied, not just the type of pads. The ceramic pads will help for a while but after a while the stock rotors will over heat and your stopping power will be drastically reduced at the wrong time....spend some time researching large wheel upgrades...

Also you will have to reprogram the computer so that the electronic tranny will know when to shift properly...

Old 02-18-2007, 12:42 AM

And the speedo. It'll probably be off no more than 5%.

Quick Reply: Carbon Ceramic brake pads