Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Clicking noise from rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008 | 07:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Clicking noise from rear end?

You will have to get that diff opened up and see what the damage is. Hitting a curb shouldn't bust up stuff in the diff, but anything is possible with a collision.

Old 02-23-2008 | 12:53 AM
|
Beginning Member
juicy_jay_510 is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont know if this will help but when i hit the curb i hit flat like when you clap ur hands, thats why i think something in the diff got messed up.

Old 02-23-2008 | 09:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

We can speculate forever, but until you open up the diff and give us an idea of what (if anything) has broken inside we're all just tossing around ideas. It really means little until you open it up.

You'll need a drain pan to capture the gear lube. If I remember right, you will need a 13mm socket and possibly a 13mm wrench if you have a rear sway bar. Jack up the rear of the truck and support it on jackstands. Remove the fill plug on the passenger side of the diff center section, in front of the axle. Remove all but the top two diff cover bolts. Loosen the top two bolts. Using a screw driver, pry out on the diff cover at the very bottom. If you can get it to start to drain without completely breaking the gasket seal all the way around, it'll be less messy, but expect a rather good shower of gear lube to come out. Clean it up inside with some brake cleaner and let us know what you see. You may also have to disconnect the driveshaft from the front of the diff so that you can turn the pinion to fully inspect the ring and pinion gears. If you have an open diff (4 gears in the inside of the diff), you will need to inspect these gears as well. If you have the G80 RPO code, things get a bit more complicated for inspection.

Old 02-23-2008 | 04:52 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

You could try putting the spare on the front, and one of the front wheels on the back...

Unless you have a full size spare... The difference in size between the normal tire and a donut could be enough to make it lock/unlock... If you have the G80...

Old 02-24-2008 | 08:35 PM
|
Beginning Member

i have a fullsize spare and i bent my axle

Old 02-24-2008 | 08:36 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

That tends to be a problem!

Whatcha gonna do now?

Old 02-26-2008 | 04:01 PM
|
Beginning Member

My boi that works at a local chevy dealer is gonna try to get me the axle with his discount and ill probably pay him to put it in.

Old 02-27-2008 | 12:50 AM
|
Beginning Member

does anyone know what year axles will fit in my 2000 and if s10 pickup axles work too.

Old 02-27-2008 | 04:08 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

98+ will work for sure, from any S-series. They're a direct bolt in replacement, so long as the brakes are the same.

ZR2 axles are wider, and might have different mounting, slightly.

The regular 8.5" diff found in the 5-speeds, you might have to take the driveshaft, but otherwise is also a direct drop in...

Make sure to get the same gear ratio, or your speedometer will be off.

Old 02-27-2008 | 08:37 AM
Administrator

^^^ Yup ^^^

If someone else sees this and thinks they can grab a 8.5" diff out of a 5spd and take the driveshaft as well... If you have a 2dr with the same drivetrain (4wd or 2wd), you are in luck, but no 4dr was offered with a manual trans in the 2nd gen trucks.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise from rear end?