Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Clicking noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:34 PM
juanfpina is on a distinguished road
Default Clicking noise when turning

I have a 1997 Blazer, 4-door 2WD. Whenever I am pulling out in the morning I hear it clicking as I pull out turning. It seems to click louder and faster if I turn the wheels all the way. What could it be? From my understanding 2WD don't have cv axles so it can't be that. Any ideas? When I turn it all the way to the left it sometimes squeals if I'm going slow. When I make a fast turn I don't hear any of this.
Also I hear a jingling noise whenever I hit a speed bump, it seems to be coming from the front and the back any ideas on that? Thanks guys

EDIT: The clicking comes from the front, can't really distinguish if it's from the right or left side. Just for clarification, there are three issues here, the clicking, the squealing, and the jingling. I don't think they are all the same problem, the clicking is just the one that worries me the most and is my main concern the others are just things I've noticed. They didn't all start at the same time.

Last edited by juanfpina; 09-13-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is the speed of the tick linked with the speed you are driving?

Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 PM

It seems when I pull out faster, the clicking is also gets faster so I'd say yes

EDIT: Much more noticable when I'm turning left than right, and only when it's a sharper turn for like a u turn or pulling out/in of the parking spot.
Thanks for the help if anymore info is needed just let me know

Last edited by juanfpina; 09-12-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: More info
Old 09-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible that there is damage to one of the front wheel bearings. Being 2wd, you should be able to feel it fairly easily after pulling the wheel & brake caliper/rotor off. If you hear it more when turning left, I would start by checking the right (passenger) wheel bearing as there is more load on the right side of the truck when turning left.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 AM

How difficult is it to change wheel bearings? Is there any danger jf I keep going like this? Just need to know if I should do it right away or wait til the weekend.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Administrator

If they get really bad, the wheel could literally fall off, but that is an extreme.

The bearing races are pressed into the front hub, but come out pretty easy with a drift punch & hammer. Pressing in the new races isn't too bad even if you do not have a race driver or press. Just take your time and make sure they are going down flat. It actually is pretty cheap to put bearings & seals into the front of the older 2wd trucks. Check out THIS PAGE for an illustration.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:02 AM

Thanks Swartlkk! Would I need the outer and inner inner bearing and race? I just looked up wheel bearing in Autozone's website and those two came up

Old 09-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Administrator

You will want the inner seal as well. And you'll want to get some wheel bearing grease to pack the bearings prior to installing them. The messy way to accomplish this is to put a blob of grease on the palm of your hand and repeatedly push the open end of the bearing into the dab of grease until you see it squeeze out around the roller elements & cage at the opposite side of the bearing. Make sure to do this all the way around the cage on each of the bearings.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:47 PM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road

This May be dumb, and if I hadn't seen it happen before I wouldn't say this... But make sure your lug nuts are tight. Most likely its what swartlkk said, but I had to mention it.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:28 AM

Call me dumb because it turns out that is what it was. I was about to lift it tonight when I decided to try tightening the lug nuts and as soon as I did a couple I heard the same clicking/ticking noise. So embarrassed but at least my wheels are safe.

I also figured out the jingling noise is the front left sway bar end link. It seems to be missing a bushing.
The top one of the bottom set.

Now it seems what I believe to be the control arm bushing needs replacing.
This car hates me

Attached Thumbnails Clicking noise when turning-wp_000154.jpg   Clicking noise when turning-wp_000168.jpg