Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

a couple of questions regarding measuring for new shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:41 PM
Starting Member
yarinzim is on a distinguished road
Default a couple of questions regarding measuring for new shocks

Hi Guys,

I've posted a similar question here before, but unfortunately i was unable to resolve my issue. i'll try to be clearer and shorter and hopefully you'd be able to help me.

i need a new set of shocks and i can't use the old ones for dimensions, in addition i don't have a proper way to measure the collapsed and expended measurements of my axles.

for expended, i disconnected the current shock, lifted the truck from the chassis until the tire left the ground and measured from eye to eye, this is for expended. i know this method is not ideal, i just need someone to confirm it's valid as well.

for collapsed, i was thinking to measure the truck (eye to eye) on flat ground, and in addition to measure from the tip of the bump stop to the closest point on the axle. as far as my logic goes, deducting the second measurement from the first one should provide me the minimum collapsed measurement i can fit a shock to, as i said this is for the collapsed. again, i know this is not ideal, i just need a confirmation and/or opinion on rather this method is valid or not...

The issue is that i want to purchase a set of Bilsteins and from the measurements I'm currently getting it seems like i need a 6" for the rear and 3-4" for the front. it's a bit odd and i want to make sure my measurements are accurate.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks, yarin.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Have you put a lift or lowered your truck? If not just go online to anywhere that sells shocks and input your truck info and pick from any of the shocks that come up!

Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Starting Member

i forgot to mention this, you're right
the main issue is that the truck was lifted by the previous owners and i have no idea how much lift there is...

Old 02-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

From searching from your other posts it appears you have a k5 correct? You really need to give all of the info from about your truck. I also saw that Kyle posted a link for you a while back explains how to measure for shocks. Not trying to be rude or mean but the info has already been provided

Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 AM
Starting Member

as i explained before, I'm familiar with all the methods to measure for shocks but currently i only have the means to measure the way i described above.

the measurements don't quite add up to the information i see on bilstein's site, which is why all the information i have from all the relevant threads is ineffective..
i don't want to make assumptions and end up with the wrong set of shocks. i need to purchase from the US and ship them to israel with a special permit, it's a pain in the *** and i don't want to go through all that trouble for a set of shorter and/or longer shocks than i really need.