Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Crazy road noise, I'm stumped

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 04:02 PM
Beginning Member
TheSheepDog is on a distinguished road
Default Crazy road noise, I'm stumped

Hey folks. So my 01 blazer has had a crazy amount of road noise coming from what sounds like the front passenger side. That rim also felt hot to the touch so I pulled it apart. Heat was from a caliper sticking, replaced pads, rotors, and calipers. Wheel bearing felt tight and I noticed the driver side hub was already replaced. The noise is driving me nuts, sounds like I've got boggers going down the road. Tires are a non-aggressive all season pattern and looking at reviews are supposed to be quiet. Noise is the same whether turning or straight, increases with speed. Truck drives fine and stays straight when not touching the wheel.

Only thing I could think of at this point is a shifted belt, but again the truck drives fine and doesn't show signs of it. Tires are in good condition, no odd wear. Sounds like a constant humming/thumping

Any ideas? I'm afraid the wheels gonna blow off on me, radio has to be cranked to down it out

Old 04-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TheSheepDog
Hey folks. So my 01 blazer has had a crazy amount of road noise coming from what sounds like the front passenger side. That rim also felt hot to the touch so I pulled it apart. Heat was from a caliper sticking, replaced pads, rotors, and calipers. Wheel bearing felt tight and I noticed the driver side hub was already replaced. The noise is driving me nuts, sounds like I've got boggers going down the road. Tires are a non-aggressive all season pattern and looking at reviews are supposed to be quiet. Noise is the same whether turning or straight, increases with speed. Truck drives fine and stays straight when not touching the wheel.

Only thing I could think of at this point is a shifted belt, but again the truck drives fine and doesn't show signs of it. Tires are in good condition, no odd wear. Sounds like a constant humming/thumping

Any ideas? I'm afraid the wheels gonna blow off on me, radio has to be cranked to down it out
If you had a shifted or broken belt, you'd know it. It might feel like driving over a curb each time the tire rotates. Either that or a serious case of the wiggles.

If one bearing has been replaced, this one might need it too. The noise might be the rollers grinding into dust. Especially if the wheel is hot to the touch. I have seen off set worn pads cause this but if you've replaced the pads and caliper, I'd suspect the bearing.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Beginning Member

The wheel is no longer hot to the touch, they both get a little warm if I've been on the brakes a lot, but the new calipers got rid of the heat issue. I plan on replacing the hub soon anyways, it's just a matter of money right this minute. Would an out of balance tire cause this? I wouldn't think it'd be this loud

Old 04-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Starting Member
cubawashere is on a distinguished road

try switching wheels around to see if noise changes place. Could be one of the tires or out of balance. Weirder things have happened.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Beginning Member

I took it down to a local shop since I'm stumped. Found nothing wrong with the tires, rebalance them, and double checked the bearings, they're fine as well. I'm stumped

Old 04-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by TheSheepDog
Noise is the same whether turning or straight, increases with speed. Truck drives fine and stays straight when not touching the wheel.

you say noise only occurs when moving and increases with speed, correct? Tires are out, bearings have been done,.....how about driveline parts. They are the only other thing that moves when truck moves. U joints, driveshaft, or drivebearings (if applicable & have 2 part driveshaft)....

Did the shop put tires back where they came off from or did they just throw them back on? Did source of noise change at all?

Old 04-16-2014, 04:39 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Cv axle?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I am thinking a wheel bearing
find a country road that has no on coming traffic or two lane highway that's not busy
drive around 40mph and sweep side to side on the road and listen for an increase or decrease in the noise

Old 04-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Starting Member

front bearings were checked and 1 was already replaced..... only the rear to go but it's harder to tell when in the back by driving IMO.... I agree jacking up and check side to side play though

Old 04-17-2014, 04:08 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cubawashere
front bearings were checked and 1 was already replaced..... only the rear to go but it's harder to tell when in the back by driving IMO.... I agree jacking up and check side to side play though
these trucks don't like front hub bearings
I did my brother inlaws hubs twice while he owned it

Quick Reply: Crazy road noise, I'm stumped