Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

CV Axle grease all over

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:48 PM
tony991 is on a distinguished road
Default CV Axle grease all over

I recently looked at my cv axles on my 01' blazer, and i noticed green grease from the cv boot all over my a-arms and tie rod. A mechanic told me i really don't have to change the axle. But idk if i trust him.lol What do you guys think??

Old 04-27-2010, 06:49 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Not critical but will need to be changed sooner than later. Sounds like your CV boot is punctured or split, allowing the grease that keeps the parts lubricated out.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could replace the boot if it's torn. To do it properly, you have to pull the CV shaft to replace it. Those two piece problem solvers are junk IMO. Taking the CV shaft out also lets you inspect it for signs of wear.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Starting Member
Mark_D is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem, and am about to put 500 miles on my truck...

How involved is it to take the cv shaft out and replace the boot? Looking at the truck and my Haynes manual, it looks like I should be able to do it with the right tools. I'm mechanically inclined, but have done very limited work on cars.

What tools will be needed? I'm planning on needing the following, please let me know if I need anything else, thanks!

- 2 or 3 jackstands and a jack
- a Puller for the steering knuckle
- a breaker bar and ___" socket for the hub nut (anyone know the size off-hand?)
- assorted box wrenches and sockets
- new boot and grease

THANKS! Tony, I hope this helps you out too

Old 04-27-2010, 08:17 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point

the cost difference between just replacing the cv axles and replacing the boot are minimal. If you need to replace the boot you might as well replace the whole cv joint. Escpecially if you are paying someone to do it. Either way the mechanic has to take it all apart and the difference in price from parts almost evens out from the amount of time charged in labor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-04...Q5fAccessories

Maybe its a different scenario with your year but I know that with my year (96) my mechanic told me I might as well replace them completly instead of just replacing just the boots.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:31 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

The axle nut size is 36mm. I 2nd replacing the whole axle shaft instead of the boot. A good rubber boot cost around 25 bucks. I just buy new shaft from napa. I think they are around $55 with a 3 year warranty.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Starting Member

dimone, you're right...the boot is $8-15 while the entire CV axle is $55. With the way my wheel has been wobbling, I really ought to just replace the whole shebang because I'm sure things do not look pristine in there.
Also, it would make sense for me to replace the wheel bearing on this side, but is it called something other than "wheel bearing" for a front wheel because I can only seem to find 'em for the rear wheels.

Thanks

Old 04-27-2010, 09:10 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

the front wheel bearing is called a hub assembly since you cant replace just the bearings

Old 04-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Starting Member

Ugh, don't like the price tag on that one...but it's still 1/3 the price a mechanic quoted.

Tell me if this sounds stupid please:
The CV boot is torn and judging by how much grease is on everything else, there can't be much in the boot. A mechanic suggested replacing the boot and the hub assembly. I need to drive about 500 miles this weekend. Rather than rushing to replace things before then, I'm thinking to just ride it out on these parts and then replace the hub assembly and CV Joint next week when I have the time. I'm also going to do the Pitman Arm, Idler Arm, and Tie rods because they're all worn out and can't hold an alignment.

NVANZEE, you seem to know what's what -- so what do you think about that idea? Also do you happen to know if the tools I listed will be sufficient to do the job? Thanks a ton!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Starting Member
DSMayo is on a distinguished road

the axle nut requires a 36mm socket and make sure you have a breaker bar to get it off

I would check out the pricing at Autozone, I got my cv joints for $50/ea with a lifetime warranty. most stores also have loaner tools like the 36mm socket if you dont already have one

Quick Reply: CV Axle grease all over