Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

CV Axle replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Beginning Member
Fast Rider is on a distinguished road
Default CV Axle replacement Questions

Hey guys,

I should note the vehicle is a 2001 Blazer 4dr with push-button 4wd (and the auto 4wd button)
One of the cv boots on my passenger side cv shaft has been leaking grease for a while now, and it's just starting to make some noise while at slow speeds and full turn. I've got to replace that side wheel bearing, so I thought it'd be a good time to replace this shaft as well.

I've read through this article: https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-thread-38087/
And it is a great writeup. The couple questions I have are this:

Is ANYTHING left out from this article?

Or if I follow it step-by-step will everything be covered? Is there a snap/locking ring holding the axle shaft into the differential or does it just slide in and out? Once in place, does the shaft but up against the differential housing or is there a gap that should be there?

I saw some mention of differential fluid. Will it leak out when the shaft is removed, and then I should just top it off after it's all reassembled? What fluid is used? Is there a seal to watch out for or replace during this process?

People talk about the "half-shaft", is this just another name for the partial axle since the vehicle does not have a solid axle?

Where is the best place to purchase this unit from?

Thanks for the help guys. I'm a newbie to this job and most projects on the blazers. I'm mechanically inclined, but usually work with other equipment (snowmobiles, wheelers, etc) and only have done brakes on the blazer since owning it.
Scott