Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

CV Driveshaft/Halfshaft Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Starting Member
ravenhurst is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CV Driveshaft/Halfshaft Brand?

I'm about to change a CV Driveshaft on my 2000 4d Chevy Blazer LT. I've looked at remanufactured duralasts, cardone, and NAPA. All have varying prices, and personally I'd like to buy new and not remanufactured. Autozone's Duralast is reman'ed and costs 69$. NAPA's new is 97$, and Cardone's new at rockauto is 50$. Does anyone have any review or comments on either of these brands?

Old 12-16-2009, 12:32 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

i got both new front drive shafts this summer. both were A-1 Cardone, and both have held up exactly as I had hoped. no problems shedding/shredding boots, no problems in 4wd, no leaks/squeaks/creaks. everything is doing fine. They were new not re-manned.

i got both for $84.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

From where did you oder those ABN31B?

Old 12-16-2009, 03:05 PM
BF Veteran

through a body shop near where i work that deals with our GOV fleet. They let me come in and work on my rig from time to time as i need for minor things, and get my parts at cost for them. they were a life saver with air tools and a 4 post lift for the front shaft job.

I don't know who they get their parts through, but i can find out if you think it would be helpful.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Starting Member

damn. I though I could get a good deal.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ABN31B
i got both new front drive shafts this summer. both were A-1 Cardone, and both have held up exactly as I had hoped. no problems shedding/shredding boots, no problems in 4wd, no leaks/squeaks/creaks. everything is doing fine. They were new not re-manned.
i got both for $84.
Since only one of my CV's is out, do you, or anyone for that matter, recommend changing both or just the bad one? I think personally I'd like to change both.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Starting Member

While you remember how its done and assuming the other ones not far behind you might as well do both.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:20 PM
BF Veteran

i blew out the d side CV, bled it dry of grease, then ran it until the grinding sound of metal lubricating metal got old.
the p side had some life left in it.

i changed both mostly because i had to lft the truck and it really is't that bad of a job with good tools. plus i didnt want it to come back and bite me in the *** (wallet) later. i would recommend you just knock both out while you are under it.

they are not that expensive. even if you get 2 $90 remanned, you are still in for less than $200 for a repair that will last you a good while. just be sure to give the boot and seals around it a good look, and dont forget a drip pan and some gear oil to top it all off when done.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the replies. I plan to do both, and replace the fuel pump as well. Will be a fun weekend.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 PM
BF Veteran

sounds like a bigger job than it is. both are a hassle, but only a 2 (out of 5) busted knuckles in my book. if you have a lift that is, otherwise it will be a little more ... interesting... but not too bad if you take your time

you will appreciate your ride a lot more afterwards though
good luck with the project!

*note, dont fill up before dropping the tank

Quick Reply: CV Driveshaft/Halfshaft Brand?